Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year old who has been biking regularly on weekends in Central Park for 2 years.
He does 2 or 3 loops (12-18 miles).
I'd like to take him someplace else to bike, but don't know the area well.
I'm willing to drive up to 60 minutes from NYC to find a safe bike path (i.e. no cars).
Can anyone make a recommendation?

P.S. We tried riverside park last week, but there were too may intersections with cars for me to feel comfortable.

· Registered
264 Posts
kid?

i am not sure i read the origianl post. you have a 7 year old that cycled 3 laps in central park? they have a bike race in france starting friday, i think that would be a good spot. o, i did see within 1 hr of nyc

flusing meadow park
forest park
cunningham park
bayside on the bay near crocheron park

i live in jersey for years

saddle river county park (go south from route 4 and back tack on another 5 miles)
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26428501

btcnj has ramapo rally in august, they have a good 15 mile family route

also there's a nice path along wantagh parkway out to jones beach, and a rack near the ampitheatre. adjacent zaks bay is perfect for 7 year old:thumbsup:

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much CBar and jkmacman!
Its hard for me to tell from the info on line as to whether these trails are completely off road. Is there one you can recommend from personal experience that does not require sharing the road or crossing a road with cars?

· Registered
284 Posts
If you park in the industrial park (near UPS) in Elmsford you'll be strictly on the paved trail for about 6 miles. At that point the trail runs on a pretty wide shoulder for about 2 miles, back on the trail for another mile, shoulder for a mile, then on the trail for, I guess, 10 or 12.

Westchester is da bomb as far as biking goes. Once you get comfortable with the MUT, we have a ton of nice roads to explore.

· Registered
2,512 Posts
The Delaware & Raritan Canal tow path in Somerset and Mercer Counties NJ is a little further, but still within your 60min radius. The D&R Canal is actually a state park - http://www.dandrcanal.com/ - and a nice flat ride. Every few miles you need to cross a road, but there are traffic signals so no problem.

My 12yo and 6yo love riding along the canal because it's shaded. They especially love when we take a detour into Princeton for ice cream at either Thomas Sweet or The Bent Spoon. On most weekends you can also stop along Carnegie Lake and watch crew races. There are numerous nature trail areas along the way, plus several places where you can rent canoes and paddle around the canal if you like. You can even visit several "Washington Slept Here" sort of attractions. Plenty to do to make a whole day trip out of it.

It's an easy drive from NYC to any one of the parking areas, but I'd recommend either Griggstown Causeway or 518 in Rocky Hill, as they will put you within easy riding distance of some of the more interesting areas (Carnegie Lake, several locks, nature trails, etc)

Note - it can get a bit muddy if it has rained in the few days prior to a ride.

Best regards - Ray

· Registered
45 Posts
Are you looking for rail trails or real trails? There is a rail trail that starts near the Millwood exit off the taconic parkway in mid westchester. If you're looking for real trails, check out the NYCMTB or WMBA (Westchester mountain biking assoc) websites for invaluable info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.