Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a scattante w-570 last weekend from performance in rockville and the first time I took it out I was having serious gear skipping while downshifting. My 13yr old trek hybrid sounded better than this so I knew it couldn't be right. I took it back and they adjusted the cable on the rear deraileur. I rode it in the parking lot before I took it home and it seemed fine. The next day when I took it out for a ride it was even worse - I was climbing a hill and needed to downshift and it skipped gears again and then totally dropped out of gear - thankfully I got out of my clips (which are new too) before I fell. I called them and they told me that they would fix it again but for some reason I am not feeling this bike so much. Should I just return it and start over? Thanks!:confused:

·
What the what???
12,714 Posts
Rescue pup mom said:
I just bought a scattante w-570 last weekend from performance in rockville and the first time I took it out I was having serious gear skipping while downshifting. My 13yr old trek hybrid sounded better than this so I knew it couldn't be right. I took it back and they adjusted the cable on the rear deraileur. I rode it in the parking lot before I took it home and it seemed fine. The next day when I took it out for a ride it was even worse - I was climbing a hill and needed to downshift and it skipped gears again and then totally dropped out of gear - thankfully I got out of my clips (which are new too) before I fell. I called them and they told me that they would fix it again but for some reason I am not feeling this bike so much. Should I just return it and start over? Thanks!:confused:
When you say you were "climbing a hill" were you at the start of the climb or on the slope? If you were on the slope, it could be that there was stress on the derailleur when you tried to shift which caused the skip. If you were at the base of the hill, then it's likely an adjustment issue. If you like the bike otherwise, I'd let them try again to fix the problem. If not, it might be a good idea to look elsewhere. JMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts - to answer your question - I was on the slope and needed to downshift so I could complete the climb. I've never had this problem with a bike before so was at a bit of a loss. I don't know whether I like the bike otherwise, this downshifting problem has prevented me from really riding the bike.

·
What the what???
12,714 Posts
If you're on the slope, try to build up a little momentum so you can take some of the pressure off the drivetrain before you make the shift. Has the bike been shifting okay elsewhere along your ride?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good point. I need to let them fix it and then take it somewhere flat to ride it to see how it is shifting. Unfortunately it is really hilly around my house where I have been riding

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Seems like a great bike for less than $1,000. The new Shimano 105 is suppose to be a big improvement over the previous model, which did have shifting problems. Be sure you don't have a 2009 version of the 105 and also follow Opus advice on shifting techniques.

Performance has the 100% Satisfaction guarantee, so I would keep working with them until you are fed up and then return it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Are you sure it is not shifting as it is supposed to. Most, if not all road bike derailleur's are made to be able to downshift more that 1 gear at a time by moving the shift lever with a bigger push. If you give it a little push it only moves down 1 gear. Upshifting is only 1 gear at a time though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts