Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my story. I bought a Fuji Roubaix RC 58cm full dura-ace last summer off of craigslist for 700. The other day was comming up a hill and heard a pop well the wheel hub in the rear broke on one of the spokes. So instead of replacing the wheel this gives me a oppurtunity to buy a new bike that actually fits me wich I need a 56cm. I know I cant afford anything with dura-ace components, but I atleast want to kee 105. Need advice on the choices here

Felt F75
Cannondale Caad95
Specialized Allez Elite
Trek 2.1
Giant Defy Alliance 1
Jamis Ventura Race
Fuji Rouibax ACR 2.0

All these bikes have complete 105 groups. Any adive on anything else would be great. Im a runner not a biker and marathon training season is here and need a bike to cross train and maybe do a triatholon or two. Probally looking to buy next week since its 4th of July and start of Tour De France and lots of sales going on.

Thanks

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So would I be better off just buying a new frame and wheels? would the dura ace work on a smaller frame bike? Its also probally 5 or so years old so is that old of dura ace as good as a brand new 105? Remember im a runner so this is all new.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Your list is pick em, they are all great bikes. Test ride them, get a proper fit and see which one you like best.

+1 on putting the Dura Ace on it. To figure out what's the best deal, do some analysis: purchase a 56 frame off of e-bay or craig's list; buy one of the bikes and switch out the 105 for the DA and sell the 105; sell the DA on ebay and put the money towards the new bike.

Good Luck

· Registered
8,413 Posts
Given that it is 9 speed DA, I would go for a new ride with 10 speed and sell the 9 speed stuff. (You might keep the brakes)

It's hard to tell from your original post, what actually broke on the wheel? If it is just a spoke, that is a cheap repair. In that case I would fix the wheel and keep riding the bike until I found a good deal on what I want (new or used), then sell your current bike in operational condition to help offset the cost of a new ride.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blue CheeseHead said:
Given that it is 9 speed DA, I would go for a new ride with 10 speed and sell the 9 speed stuff. (You might keep the brakes)

It's hard to tell from your original post, what actually broke on the wheel? If it is just a spoke, that is a cheap repair. In that case I would fix the wheel and keep riding the bike until I found a good deal on what I want (new or used), then sell your current bike in operational condition to help offset the cost of a new ride.

It wasnt the actual spoke. It was the rear hub wear the spoke is attached at.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Considering your fairly recent history of purchasing an ill fitting bike, I suggest focusing more on fit than components this time around. You made a statement that "this gives me a oppurtunity to buy a new bike that actually fits me which I need a 56cm" then go on list seven bikes that vary in geometry/ sizing.

There are no standards for measuring among manufacturers, rendering the label on the frame near meaningless, so while it's likely you'll take a 56cm in one or more of the bikes listed, it's equally possible that your sizing requirements will vary with others.

That given, IMO it would be best to work with your LBS's on narrowing your choices, pinning down sizing requirements for the 'finalists', then decide on a purchase from there.

· Registered
126 Posts
PJ352 said:
Considering your fairly recent history of purchasing an ill fitting bike, I suggest focusing more on fit than components this time around. You made a statement that "this gives me a oppurtunity to buy a new bike that actually fits me which I need a 56cm" then go on list seven bikes that vary in geometry/ sizing.

There are no standards for measuring among manufacturers, rendering the label on the frame near meaningless, so while it's likely you'll take a 56cm in one or more of the bikes listed, it's equally possible that your sizing requirements will vary with others.

That given, IMO it would be best to work with your LBS's on narrowing your choices, pinning down sizing requirements for the 'finalists', then decide on a purchase from there.
The Truth Shall Set You Free. Fit is everything. That said, I would fix the wheel, spend $50 - 150 bucks on getting fit (the 58 may be okay with different stem/seatpost), and ride the bike until you have a better handle on components, maintenance, and riding in general. If you bought the bike last summer, then this is your chance to put in one full season of riding and see how you like it. Try a couple shop rides, hit up a century in the fall... test yourself. If you reallly get the bug, then you'll have a better sense of what you want and the new ride will be all that much sweeter. Don't be that guy that drops a ton of coin on a bike and then lets it wither away in the garage. DON'T BE THAT GUY.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.