Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased in May 05 a Specialized Robaix. After the most recent Chilly Hill Ride, I found that I had water in the frame. I have about 1300 miles on the bike and it's garaged when not riding. I returned the bike to the retail outlet and after they contacted Specialized, it was determined that the bike should be shipped to Specialized for repair.
From what I understand, Specialized is going to drill a hole to allow the water to drain. ( the shop had removed all components to try and drain the water, but were not able to get all of the water out of the frame ) .
should I be concerned that water was in the frame? could the water have done any damage to the carbon frame? Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
I imagine that for the short period of time it was a water bottle...

your frame did not suffer any damage at all. Composite structures are routinely subjected to severe weather in many applications, and they do fine, at least with respect to the weather conditions.

I am curious about something, and I await comments from you and others with appropriate insight, as to why your bike shop could not handle the problem. Assuming all of the water had found its way into the bb area, a simple drain hole is the traditional means of eliminating excess water.

So, I must ask: did the water find its way into the bb, or was it getting trapped in some upper tubes. That would bug me, although I don't know if it is a fatal and uncorrectable flaw. If that is the case I wonder how the "factory" is going to modify things to correct it. Are they going to drill internal drain holes to permit tube to tube drainage? Or are they just going to make a modification at the place they think the water is getting in? Hmmm. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great questions "did the water find its way into the bb, or was it getting
trapped in some upper tubes." I will find out. When I talked w/ the mechanic on Friday, he said he did not feel comfortable drilling the holes, hence his need to send it to Specialized.

thanks for your response. Hopefully, I'll know more on Mo.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I wouldn't worry about water damaging the tubes. The worst thing that would likely happen is bottom bracket bearings getting messed up by water contamination. The drain hole on my 06 roubaix is pretty small probably a little less than 1mm around and I would think it would get clogged with grease pretty easily. I would think if you took out the seat tube and let the bike sit upside down for a day or two it would dry out on it's own.

·
cog-it-goes ergo sum
120 Posts
I have the same problem with my '05 Roubaix Comp. What I do is after every wet ride, I unscrew the screw holding the cable guide in the bottom of the BB. Water then drains out no problem. I usually leave it like that overnight, or until my next ride. I'm considering taking my Dremel to the BB and making my own small hole.

Hanging the bike upside down with the seat out is a no-no. Water inevitably tracks along the down tube to the headset, rusting it out in no time.

The BB bearings are safe from water in the Roubaix, I believe. I took apart the crank/BB once, and there is a metal BB sleeve that is bonded into the BB shell of the frame. Water that gets in the frame (presumably from the front der. cable hole behind the BB) is trapped in the area inside the frame BB area, but outside of the metal BB sleeve. The cartridge BB itself slides into the metal sleeve.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Daverino said:
I have the same problem with my '05 Roubaix Comp. What I do is after every wet ride, I unscrew the screw holding the cable guide in the bottom of the BB. Water then drains out no problem. I usually leave it like that overnight, or until my next ride. I'm considering taking my Dremel to the BB and making my own small hole.

Hanging the bike upside down with the seat out is a no-no. Water inevitably tracks along the down tube to the headset, rusting it out in no time.

The BB bearings are safe from water in the Roubaix, I believe. I took apart the crank/BB once, and there is a metal BB sleeve that is bonded into the BB shell of the frame. Water that gets in the frame (presumably from the front der. cable hole behind the BB) is trapped in the area inside the frame BB area, but outside of the metal BB sleeve. The cartridge BB itself slides into the metal sleeve.
Will the cable guide move around if you don't have the screw in there? A lot of times you don't need the screw once the cables are installed. If so maybe just leave the screw out.

I can understand why the LBS mentioned above didn't want to drill carbon. I'd hesitate to do that, too. Would probably void your warranty. Sounds like a crappy design by Specialized.

I guess you could also glue the cable guide to the bottom of the bb, but again who knows how glue interacts with carbon...

·
cog-it-goes ergo sum
120 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
Will the cable guide move around if you don't have the screw in there? A lot of times you don't need the screw once the cables are installed. If so maybe just leave the screw out.

I can understand why the LBS mentioned above didn't want to drill carbon. I'd hesitate to do that, too. Would probably void your warranty. Sounds like a crappy design by Specialized.

I guess you could also glue the cable guide to the bottom of the bb, but again who knows how glue interacts with carbon...
I've never tried riding without the screw. The guide seems pretty stuck there without the screw, but I'm reluctant to leave it out for good. I suppose you could glue it there. It'd be glue on the resin finish, not on bare carbon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts