Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until ten years ago I loved cycling along with many other outdoor sports. Then I had a massive car accident that left my dominant arm paralyzed. I now want to go back to cycling.

I need help figuring out a road bike. I am 5'-4" and bike shops are not much help.... I have figured how to set up the brakes to run off just one hand, shifting I'll figure out after I start riding. My problem is finding a bike that is light but has really good balance. My balance is off and the last thing I want to do is to fight a bike too.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

· Militant commuter
943 Posts
Perhaps a traditional bike is not the best solution for someone with balance issues...no bike has "really good balance" beyond what the rider offers (at least, not inherent balance in the bike to counteract your own off-balance), since most of the handling is dependent upon your fit over the bike, the way you move your hips and shift your center of gravity, etc.

Have you looked at "alternative" bikes, like three-wheeled Tadpole recumbents? This is what I'm talking about: http://www.actionbent.com/TWTRIKE.html

I've met a couple folks who lost the ability to ride a traditional bike due to accidents or strokes, yet these Tadpole-type bikes suit them perfectly. Plus, they are fun as HECK to ride...fast and efficient.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.