Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone give me an apples to apples comparison between Shimano and Sram component groups? :confused:

I may decide to have a steel bike custom built and I am still unsure what component group I would want.

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're asking random people which component group they prefer, how can you be sure enough about your own bike to order a custom build?

Either way, heffergm is right. Just go ride some of each and decide for yourself. Don't leave Campy out since you're already unsure about the other two.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're asking random people which component group they prefer, how can you be sure enough about your own bike to order a custom build?
Either way, heffergm is right. Just go ride some of each and decide for yourself. Don't leave Campy out since you're already unsure about the other two.
Girchy............not asking for preference...asking for for which SRAM group closely matches a corresponding Shimano group. Such as SRAM Rival closely matches Shimano ????.

And, not taking it the wrong way, but asking is the first step to gaining information! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi have 2 S Works Roubaix One has Sram Red the other Dura Ace. I find the Dura Ace is much smoother and quieter when shifting. Both are excellent but the new Ultegra is quite a deal for a amazing gruppo.

Cheers,

Milo

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
Invictus said:
Girchy............not asking for preference...asking for for which SRAM group closely matches a corresponding Shimano group. Such as SRAM Rival closely matches Shimano ????.

And, not taking it the wrong way, but asking is the first step to gaining information! :D
That's tough to say, because most SRAM sets are cheaper (and lighter for that matter) if you use the others' comparison levels. Would you compare Red ($2200) to Dura Ace ($2725)?* Corresponding levels don't mean much for this stuff. Again, try them out and buy what you think is the best value. Or the best if you can afford it.

*Prices from Colorado Cyclist

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
Invictus, check out competitive cyclist's groupset calculator/builder.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_GRUPPO

It will give you an estimate of what different groups cost, and if you choose one and click "configure/buy" it'll give a weight estimate too. A lot of info here regarding parts availability in the groups and customization possibilities. This might help give you insight into what you're looking for. It's more of a complex competition than just 105 = rival, etc.

And no, they didn't forget campy! Although you could probably figure out by my avatar which groupsets I'd recommend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys...This will give me some good information to sart with.

Skaruda, It took a few minutes of research but I found the SRAM frog on their website! :cool:

Thanks Again!

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Rival weighs less than Ultegra.

Nobody cares about the corresponding "levels". Many prefer SRAM, many prefer Shimano. IF you like shimano, you'll likely enjoy riding the 105 bike over a Force bike. Just like i'd enjoy riding a Rival bike over an ultegra bike....

comparing the two brands [sram/shimano] is like apples and oranges.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am in the same boat you are.. I am having a Custom Steel bike built by Carl Strong and will have Red on it... My last Custom Strong bike had Campy Record, my current Scott CR1 has Dura-ace... Figured I better give the Red a go and see how I like it.. Only experience I have had with red is riding it in a parking lot.. I think it will be great. Can't wait to give it a real try when my bike is done...

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
SRAM setups tends to drop the chain in crucial moments.

·
Registered
66 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
Rival weighs less than Ultegra.

Nobody cares about the corresponding "levels". Many prefer SRAM, many prefer Shimano. IF you like shimano, you'll likely enjoy riding the 105 bike over a Force bike. Just like i'd enjoy riding a Rival bike over an ultegra bike....

comparing the two brands [sram/shimano] is like apples and oranges.
very true, just like how i prefer the rival over dura-ace.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went with Ultegra 6700 over SRAM Force. I liked the ergonomics of the SRAM, but found it a little noisy, UItegra shifted smoother. What sealed the deal was the fact SRAM could only trim out of the big ring.

·
Registered
432 Posts
jermso said:
force = dura-ace

rival = ultegra

apex = 105

equivalent weights comparison.

nothing to do with shifting preferences.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to compare them this way. That's how I always looked at it.

As a side note, I just ditched my ultegra setup for rival last week and couldn't be happier. Took me about 15 miles or so to really feel good about the doubletap...once I did though, I liked everything better...ergonomics, feel, looks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts