Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need Assistance Identifying Bontrager Wheels Madone 5.9

I am looking at a Trek Madone 5.9 w/Bontrager wheels. I can't identify the model of the existing wheels on the bike in the picture to figure out what to offer. Someone removed the lettering.

Can anyone give me an accurate year and make on the wheel. Thanks very much! Also would these be considered original equipment on the 2010?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like a set of 2008 or earlier Race Lites. Not sure about the 08's but you should do some research on the success (or lack) of Treks paired spoke design.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can I find the model number on the Bontrager Wheels

Thanks for your reply on the information regarding the wheels. So the paired spoke design was 2008 or earlier? I had suspected that these were not the 2010 Race Lites although I had a hard time identifying.

How can I identify the model number of these wheels? Is there some kind of identification or serial number on the interior?

·
9,790 Posts
Those are the amazing cracking wheels.

Watch for nice little lines growing out of the spoke holes. If there aren't any now, there will be. Every single pair I've ever seen has cracked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I will now most certainly not buy the bike given this information knowing that I have to replace the wheels unless I get a stellar deal of course :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Looks like a set of 2008 or earlier Race Lites. Not sure about the 08's but you should do some research on the success (or lack) of Treks paired spoke design.
the rims look more like 30mm rims. I think those would be the aero version of whatever the Race Lite or X-Lite was.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have some Bontrager wheels I'm trying to identify and sort out. A few questions:

I have some with this number on the inside of the rim, near the valve stem hole - 203 03 255. Might they be a '03 model? (I know they are Bontrager Race Xtra Lites.)

They are the paired spoke model, 24 rear, 20 front. A friend gave them to me for free, he wasn't using them, just collecting dust. I planned on using them as road wheels on my CX bike when I don't want to ride knobbies. Is this a bad idea due to their cracking issues? Or, since this will just be a winter training wheelset, use them until they die? (again, they were given to me, so hard to pass up, but then again, I don't really want total wheel failure far from home, or that which causes me to crash)

The front rim isn't in the best shape, took a decent impact. The hub and spokes are in good shape. Can you even get 20 hole paired rims anymore? What would be a decent mid-profile rim from another manufacturer, if I need to replace it? (I do wonder about finding a rim to work, the front hub has the spokes hidden internally).

Thanks for any info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts