Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
odearja
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my front wheel off this afternoon while cleaning my bike up and I noticed the bearings were shot in the hubs. My LBS is closed until Monday and the manufacturer doesn't seem to sell parts (or identify part numbers) for my bike. I have a 2011 Giant Escape.
Google turned up nothing useful (thats never happened).

Does anyone know a good place to shop for bearings for this bike?
I am completely open to upgrading from my stock wheelset for obvious reasons, but I know I will be getting a Felt or a Defy next year anyway.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,670 Posts
I took my front wheel off this afternoon while cleaning my bike up and I noticed the bearings were shot in the hubs. My LBS is closed until Monday and the manufacturer doesn't seem to sell parts (or identify part numbers) for my bike. I have a 2011 Giant Escape.

I am completely open to upgrading from my stock wheelset for obvious reasons, but I know I will be getting a Felt or a Defy next year anyway.
seems to me you'll be waiting 'til your lbs opens up on monday. how can anyone on the internet suggest a place for you to buy mystery bearings (not that it matters what kind they are) at this hour on a sat night when we don't even know where you live?

·
Registered
21,726 Posts

Would you at least be willing to tell us the brand an model of your hubs? It's not like we actually know every bike year and model and what hubs were specified let alone what hubs were shipped. Are we supposed to look this stuff up for you?

·
odearja
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you at least be willing to tell us the brand an model of your hubs? It's not like we actually know every bike year and model and what hubs were specified let alone what hubs were shipped. Are we supposed to look this stuff up for you?
That's part of the problem. Not even giants website gives me that info. I am flying in the dark and in don't know where to start. I would think they had a spec sheet somewhere.
If it comes down to it, I will just go the primitive route get a micrometer out and head over to a custom bearing shop in town and match it up.

If you figure out the size/type you need, a place I've use is REAL WORLD CYCLING. Very good prices and fast service.

There's also BocaBearings.com , and VXB.com
Thanks looigi

·
9,790 Posts
That's part of the problem. Not even giants website gives me that info. I am flying in the dark and in don't know where to start. I would think they had a spec sheet somewhere.
If it comes down to it, I will just go the primitive route get a micrometer out and head over to a custom bearing shop in town and match it up.

Thanks looigi
There are a few common cartridge wheel bearings. Any local bike shop can order them. R8 bearings, for instance, are around $5 each. Those are normal Enduro replacement bearings.

Pop the old ones out. The number should be on the plastic grease guard ring. Otherwise, you'll have to measure inner and outer diameter with a caliper. Or have your shop do it.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I just did four hubs tonight, all shimano, all new grade 25 bearings and fresh grease.

It is one of the great things about shimano hubs, endlessly rebuildable.

Good luck with finding your replacement bearings. Probally won't be that hard.

Bill

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
There are a few common cartridge wheel bearings. Any local bike shop can order them. R8 bearings, for instance, are around $5 each. Those are normal Enduro replacement bearings.

Pop the old ones out. The number should be on the plastic grease guard ring. Otherwise, you'll have to measure inner and outer diameter with a caliper. Or have your shop do it.
this^^
pop them out and get that bearing number off the seal.

most likely a 6xxx number of some kind
the letter after the number usually reference the seal type. So, RS mean rubber seal.

·
9,790 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.