Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at upgrading this year and have been shopping for some new bikes. I am 215 and currently ride a Specialized Roubaix with Ultegra and compact crank. I have test road the Orbea Orca and like it a good amount. I am also looking at the Cervelo R3SL and Willier Le Roi. I would welcome any opinions and comments.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I own a 2009 orca

and I'm telling you to buy a r3. The orca is nice but a little overrated in my opinion. The r3 is by far the better bike. Weight wise they're nearly identical (r3 is lighter by a little) but the r3 rides smoother and now seems to be a much better bike imo. Fwiw my buddy has a white r3 and now I'm envious. Ride both of them though and make sure you love one of them more than the other though. Everyone has different opinions on bikes. Hope that helps.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It's the legs, baby......The legs.

Is your old bike wiggley?

The bike you have is fine, unless you feel the need for bling. If you buy that expensive bike, people from near and far will remark, "Damn, he's got to be some great bike rider"............or they will say, "Boy, what a wanker".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only concern with the Cervelo is the seat stays being so thin and flexing. I am a tad on the heavier side for cylcing at 215 and am concerned about the long term on them. Have you ridden the bike?

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
why all the carbon?

At 215 I'd be a bit twitchy about a carbon rig unless you're planning on doing lots of racing and have the cash to replace it. I put in quite a few miles on the Orbea and really, really liked it. Would have a hard time saying it was better than my Ridley Helium, but prob a bit stiffer in the rear end. I do know of at least 3 guys who busted their Orca's. Carbon bikes for all their speed and good looks are a house of cards. One wrong move and you're screwed.
Personally if I had to do it over again I'd get a Lynskey ti frame. That's a go fast bike, that will always turn heads and will last a lifetime.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Lets see.........215+15=230......215+20=235......5 pounds is 2% of 235 pounds

On a steep climb, it's possible that you might ride at 12.25 mph instead of 12.0 mph.
Wow !!!!, that's makes it worth it.

On the flats, it won't make a damn difference.

·
Registered
597 Posts
CampbellU said:
Only concern with the Cervelo is the seat stays being so thin and flexing. I am a tad on the heavier side for cylcing at 215 and am concerned about the long term on them. Have you ridden the bike?

I wouldn't worry about the seat stays if I were you. The bike survives, and thrives, on the Paris-Roubiax cobblestones every year. I'm sure it can take anything you or I can dish out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
At 215lbs I would get ti. Unless some of that weight is fat and you are prepared to lose it, i would not get carbon.

Bikes don't climb fast, riders do, and the only way to go fast uphill is through good fitness.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The bike survives, and thrives, on the Paris-Roubiax cobblestones every year. I'm sure it can take anything you or I can dish out.
Thats hilarious, pro riders get new bikes throughout the season. If the guy wants a bike that may not last i say go for it, otherwise.........Ti, the extra 0.5-1.0 lbs is not going to slow him down.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
kef3844 said:
At 215lbs I would get ti. Unless some of that weight is fat and you are prepared to lose it, i would not get carbon.

Bikes don't climb fast, riders do, and the only way to go fast uphill is through good fitness.
Why not carbon? Carbon is plenty durable for a large rider. Carbon is amazingly strong for its intended application, its not going to explode or fail in any way that people fear it will, not even if you are a big fella.
Now using a carbon bicycle frame for something other than riding is where the durability factor may come into play, such as driving the carbon fiber bicycle into a garage, throwing your carbon fiber bicycle at your friends or allowing your carbon fiber bicycle to be chewed on by your dog. But doing such things to a steel, titanium, aluminum, magnesium or bamboo frame probably isn't such a good idea either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sure carbon is durable and strong, but he is 215 and considering a r3SL. It is my opinon that that is way to light a frame for someone that size if longevity is something he desires.. Just my opinion. I would not buy a sub 800 gr carbon frame and i'm 140 lbs. People make too big a deal out the frame weight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Test road the R3sl and it does flex a tad on the seat stays. Rides nice but is roughly 1500 dollars more than the Orca. With Dura ACE.

Now the question is do I buy it now or wait for the new 7900 Dura Ace to come out-I ride a compact crank and they will have one with the new group.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.