Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new used frame and fork and started building it up this afternoon with the components off my other bike. Same size. May end up needing some new cables and housing, but we'll see. Anyway, hit a snafu when I went to install the brake calipers. I've got Dura Ace calipers, but the bolt on the front brake is too long for the new fork and the bolt for the rear is too short. Never having thought about it, I assumed this was kind of a standard thing. Guess not. Anyway, are there just different bolt (and receiver nut) lengths... I hope? And would an LBS generally carry them or would I most likely have to order? Does this even make sense to anyone? Thanks in advance for any help! S

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
DSR said:
I picked up a new used frame and fork and started building it up this afternoon with the components off my other bike. Same size. May end up needing some new cables and housing, but we'll see. Anyway, hit a snafu when I went to install the brake calipers. I've got Dura Ace calipers, but the bolt on the front brake is too long for the new fork and the bolt for the rear is too short. Never having thought about it, I assumed this was kind of a standard thing. Guess not. Anyway, are there just different bolt (and receiver nut) lengths... I hope? And would an LBS generally carry them or would I most likely have to order? Does this even make sense to anyone? Thanks in advance for any help! S
Your LBS has different length nuts that will work. It's very common with frames and forks to require different length nuts.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. I've switched out enough mountain bikes to know the little things to be aware of there, but didn't even think that there'd be different brake mounts on my roadie. Oh well.

Quick follow up question - is it easy to replace that main bolt in a DA caliper with a longer or shorter one? It looks like there may have to be some disassembly to get at it.

Thanks again. S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.