Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just destroyed my cheapo blender by not having it fully engaged before I turned it on and it destroyed the plastic fins from the motor that engages the container. I need recommendations for a new one. I'm trying to keep it around $100 so something in that price range. I started making a lot of recovery smoothies so something that blends ice pretty well would be a huge plus. I've also looked at single serve ones where you can drink out of the container afterwards but they don't seem to be as high of a build quality in general. Even my cheapo one had a real glass container.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you spend more and get a Vitamix or a Blendtec, you'll have an awesome blender forever and probably won't regret it. We've got a Vitamix. It's awesome.

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
I got a Ninja Duo thingamaboper (3 different sized cups + pitcher) last year for around $130. My first blender, so I don't have any frame of reference, but I think it does pretty well for its price point.

After my mom used it, she liked it enough that she went out and bought the same model. She already had a Vitamix and says the Vitamix is way better; but they are obviously not in the same league. She keeps the Ninja at home and the Vitamix stays at her shop for her customers.

·
Super Moderator
40,836 Posts
I found a very serviceable blender from Cuisinart at Costco, I paid $70 for it. It does everything I want it to do, and it's easy to dissemble and clean. It's fine with pulverizing ice, frozen fruit, etc. This machine replaced an equally serviceable Kitchenaid, that my daughter now has, because the Kitchenaid's pitcher did not have a pour lip, and I got sick of just how sloppy the damned thing was. Kitchenaid used to make a stainless steel pitcher for it, but no more, and apparently they've been hunted to extinction in the aftermarket.

I prefer blenders that have Lexan pitchers (or stainless, but not common in the sub-$100 price range), because they won't chip or break.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
The base Ninja Professional 1000 watt blender is about $99 at target and other stores. Plenty good for your intended use imho.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have a Vitamix 6300. It works well, and I make hummus often enough that I'd probably have destroyed a few lesser machines in the interim. It's likely expensive overkill just to make smoothies.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you spend more and get a Vitamix or a Blendtec, you'll have an awesome blender forever and probably won't regret it. We've got a Vitamix. It's awesome.
Vitamix is out of my price range. I understand that it's a 'forever' item but I still live with room mates who can manage to easily break things and not pony up the $$.

The base Ninja Professional 1000 watt blender is about $99 at target and other stores. Plenty good for your intended use imho.
Ninja seems like they are well respected with a bunch of different offerings across price points so I'm definitely considering them.

It seems like I can get an Oster Pro 1200 for a decent price on Amazon and it comes with a smoothie cup.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have an old Waring blender that used to belong to my parents. Has to be at least 50 years old. Like my fixie, it is single speed and pretty much indestructible.

Attachments

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
rumor has it you can screw a mason jar on most blade interfaces. if thats true, find one you like and just use mason jars for single servings.

we have a bullet for single servings. i always use crushed ice from the fridge to start.

dont forget to throw away any frozen fruit you may have purchased, even as far back as 2014. that lysteria thing...

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Braun powermax 2050. Powerful, simple, inexpensive and rugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
rumor has it you can screw a mason jar on most blade interfaces. if thats true, find one you like and just use mason jars for single servings.

we have a bullet for single servings. i always use crushed ice from the fridge to start.

dont forget to throw away any frozen fruit you may have purchased, even as far back as 2014. that lysteria thing...
If you have a bullet... get an ice blade for it. Works awesome.
http://www.amazon.com/Shaver-Blade-...d=1464211329&sr=8-1&keywords=bullet+ice+blade

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts