Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm being neighborly by helping out, well, a neighbor rebuild his bike. What a mess!
Formally a really nice custom Erickson (c. 1996?) built with a Record & Chorus 8spd groupo mix.
Unfortunately it looks as if it had never been serviced. Everything was covered in layers of grime and grease, had to cut out the handlebar stem, with much perseverance was able to work the seat post out... etc, etc...
Anyway... I've got the drive train back in service, dérailleurs had to be disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt, right shifter was stripped (sti) since some idiot wrenched like mad on it after the cables rusted into the frame under the bottom bracket. But of course the chain and cassette were toast. I have a replacement chain but the problem is the cassette. I'm already blowing this guys budget (I told him it wouldn't be cheap, it's friggin campy and you're lucky I don't report you for bicycle negligence) so paying $80+ for an actual Campy replacement would be hard sell, so I'm considering a Miche? Any thoughts on this? I just want to be done with this thing and get it out of my garage! Anyone have a NOS 8spd cassette they want to unload cheaply?

thanks,
K

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Can't help ya, but I sure can empathize. I'm in nearly the same exact situation. I need a 32 hole Campy Record or Chorus rear hub. Mine has been kept spotless and has been meticulously maintained. Problem is it's a '94 and it's got around 60-80 thousand miles on it.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dinosaur said:
Ebay. I just looked they have Campy 8 speed stuff up for bid..
Thanks, yeah I saw those, but they appear to be going for ~$60 for BuyItNow + $10 for shipping. I think I've found a local source (a trustworthy LBS) for a "very lightly used" cassette for $45. I'm checking this out today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.