Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Cannondale frameset and it has no downtube adjusters on the frame. Since the rear derailleur has an adjustment do I have to have the in-line adjuster for the front derailleur or will it function fine without it if the cable is tight enough? Thanks.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
With indexed shifting, you either need to have some sort of adjuster or be a god of mechanical skills. The down tube location, or somewhere else that you can reach while riding is best, but not absolutely neccasary.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
As long as you set the initial cable tension right, so you have enough room to adjust as things settle in, there's no real need to have a second adjuster. That downtube adjuster is mainly there because it's a convenient location. You can dial in little shifting adjustments even while you're riding, once you understand how it works.

When you say "it has no downtube adjusters on the frame," do you mean it has no bosses to attach them, or it has cable stops on the headtube? The adjusters don't come with the frame. If it has the bosses, you can put the adjusters on.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Cannondales have cable stops on the DT. Integrated adjusters are not included. This is only a concern for the FD, for which there is no other adjustment available other than at the cable anchor bolt. I would probably install an in-line adjuster for the FD only and use the RDs barrel.

There are barrel adjusters that can fit into frame mounted cable stops as well, though the only ones I have seen are prone to rusting and seizing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.