Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I wouldn't worry about decals, just give it a good scrubbing with soap and water and maybe wax it with car wax. Replace the cables and housing, brake pads, handlebar tape and here's some replacement hoods, Soma Gum Brake hood pair - really nice! For Campy NR/SR and other similar levers (boulderbicycle.bike) . Repack the headset. hubs and bottom bracket and it should ride like you remember.

If those wheels are sew ups just get those hubs built up with some new clincher rims and spokes. If they're clinchers give them a good going over and replace the tires and rim strips, spokes and nipples if needed. Plenty of good clincher tires out there compared to what there was when that bike was new.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
It’s a super nice old frame. To restore it is going to be $$$$. To make it rideable for far less but still an investment. FWIW I built up a steel frame Merckx recently with Dura Ace 9000 for a little over $2,500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It ain't gonna cost that much to get this bike up and running. Rebuilding the wheels is the big investment, $300 or so, and the rest maybe another $300, something like that for parts, and if the OP does his own wrenching it's $6-700 for a bike he enjoys and has a history with. And most of this money is maintenance, which would need to eventually be spent on a new bought bike anyway.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
So, you figure 700-1,000 for rideable in good solid shape. Estimate for a restoration? You think it’s double?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I didn't say restoration, I said up and running, and yes it's completely doable. That $700 will rebuild the wheels replace consumables(bar tape, brake pads, cables, brake hoods, tires & tubes, probably chain)clean and lube everything and possibly replace the seat, if the OP does the work hisownself. Maybe a few bucks more than seven but not a grand. Those 6 speed cassettes wore better than what we're used to these days, so should be fine.

A restoration would be well north of a grand and could result in a bike that wouldn't be as fun to ride out of fear of dinging it up.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
My riding goals are recreational, with my daughter. It would be fun to do a t-shirt ride with her. There will be no criteriums. There will be no more descents where I put one hand on the stem, my chin on that hand, my rear in the air with the other hand behind my back. There will be tales told to make it sound like I was better than I was 😄
Ride your bike with her and live its history with her, and with any luck the bike will become hers, and she will continue to ride it with you and enjoy your memories, long after you have, as my Mother puts it, gone to the great Beyond.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts