Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this new in 1986, and rode the hell out of it for the next several years (raced a few Cat 4 races to…not great results). I did my own maintenance, but then…I got married, focused on work and added about 50 pounds. At that weight, when I did find time to ride, I felt the Pinarello was not a good choice, that my weight was not good for it (wheels especially).

I’m 58, and lost a lot of weight. My 11 year old daughter likes to ride, and we’re talking about a few t-shirt rides. I’d like to get the Pinarello (neglected in storage for 25 years) up and running. Not a renovation for display, but to ride (hundreds of miles per year, not thousands, like before).
I’d like to not update to modern components. I want to keep the cleat/toe clip pedals, and all the Super Record components. That said- the cover over one brake lever is cracked from age- am I looking at a NOS Campy lever or can I just get the cover? (I need to replace the brake pads, right?)
How do the chain ring teeth look? Need to be replaced?
I used a Suntour 13/23 freewheel, because I wanted the lifetime of steel use, but now I’m wondering about a SR freewheel (because I won’t put as many miles on). Thoughts?
I need to probably just have the Mavic wheels respoked and tried by somebody who knows what they’re doing.
The frame- the paint isn’t that bad- I should probably clean it and polish the chrome to see what it looks like? I definitely need new decals. Should I have a pro put them on?
I live in Arlington, Texas, between Dallas and Foet Worth. Any tips on service sources?
Thanks, and I’ll hang up and listen.
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Bicycle frame Tire

Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Grass Electric blue Bicycle tire

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Crankset

Bicycle Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle frame Blue

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

Plant Cylinder Gas Grass Electric blue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note- I definitely want to do cosmetic fixes that are period-appropriate, like new tape on the handle bars. Any ideas on a seat replacement?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! It’s funny, but I have so many fond memories of adventures on that bike- climbs, descents, time trials, pacific highway journeys- part of sticking with old tech is to see if the magic is still there.
And Campy,…even back then, I knew there were other component makers that were lighter and smoother, but when I was climbing a hill in a race, and realized I was in the wrong gear, Campy Let me force it. Got to love it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get what you’re saying about a new bike, but…I’m 58. I did things on this bike that I will never, can never do again. That’s what I’m trying to tie into.

And, there’s this-

I have a friend who restored his dead father’s DeLorean. He told me, “Yes, my new Honda Civic is faster, quicker, handles better, gets a better mileage and is more reliable. Yet, when I fill up the tank of the Civic, people don’t come up and ask to take their picture with, like they do with the DeLorean.”

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I paid $1,100 for it, new. The most expensive racing bikes of the time (Columbus SLX, C-Record) cost $1,500. Early composite frames could go $2k. Still, friends thought I was paying a lot for a bike. My thinking was- it’s a lot if I ride it hundreds of miles per year, but not so much if I rode it thousands of miles per year, which I did.

I appreciate all the suggestions. Back in the day, I did my own mechanical work, and I saved the tools, but it has been a while. On this job, I’m leaning to doing a lot of it myself, to save money and to get it right. I don't have great bunches of time, so it will take a while.

I am now planning on cleaning the frame more than refinishing (will redo decals), replacing the brake hood and pads, looking for deals on drivetrain parts, and paying what it costs to get the wheels right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My riding goals are recreational, with my daughter. It would be fun to do a t-shirt ride with her. There will be no criteriums. There will be no more descents where I put one hand on the stem, my chin on that hand, my rear in the air with the other hand behind my back. There will be tales told to make it sound like I was better than I was 😄

1 - 6 of 6 Posts