Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is this bike? I am paying 500 $ for it. Is it a good deal?

2005 Fuji "Finest-Al" road bike. Shimano R550 wheels, Continental Grand Prix 3000 tires, Easton EC30 carbon fiber fork, Salsa 130cm stem, 46cm bars, Thomson bent seat post, Selle San Marco seat, look style Shimano pedals, 3 ring 175mm 105 Hollowtech crank set and bottom bracket, 8 cog cluster, Sora shifters.

Any thoughts? This is my first proper road bike.....thanks

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
the price sounds good, but does it fit?

for starters, you haven't written how big you are. while you didn't write about the size of the frame, based on the 13 cm stem, and 46 cm bars, it sounds BIG. i hope you're very tall.

mab05 said:
How is this bike? I am paying 500 $ for it. Is it a good deal?

2005 Fuji "Finest-Al" road bike. Shimano R550 wheels, Continental Grand Prix 3000 tires, Easton EC30 carbon fiber fork, Salsa 130cm stem, 46cm bars, Thomson bent seat post, Selle San Marco seat, look style Shimano pedals, 3 ring 175mm 105 Hollowtech crank set and bottom bracket, 8 cog cluster, Sora shifters.

Any thoughts? This is my first proper road bike.....thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike size

Thank you for your reply- I am 6 ft, with an inseem of 32".

The bike is 61 cm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm also 6 ft with a 32" inseam, and......

my bikes are all 57-58 cm frames. I found a great deal on a 60 cm a while back, but it was just plain too big for me.

Just my opinion, but I think a 61 cm is probably too tall a frame for you. You need to have enough clearance between the top tube and the jewels to be able to lift the bike at least a couple of inches off the ground. Some people like even more clearance. You may also find that the top tube is too long, and you'll be too stretched out, unless you have long arms.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
More questions.

Ask a few more questions. There was a "Finest Al" for 2004. It was a traditional (horizontal top tube) bike and you could get it in a 61 cm size. MSRP was $ 630.00.

In 2005, Fuji offered a "Finest," but now as a compact (sloping top tube) bike with no 61 cm size notation - the bike came in M, L, and XL. MSRP was $ 650.00.

Check it out here - click on 05 and 04 upper right. http://fujibikes.com/2006/road.asp

Many of the for-sale bike components as you describe them were not standard Fuji offering for 2004 or 2005. It sounds as if someone either built the bike custom, or changed a lot of components, for the better mostly.

As others have said, size is the critical factor. If your cycling inseam (floor-to-crotch) is in fact 32", a 61 cm frame sounds awfully big to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would agree that the frame may be too big. I'm 6'1" with a 35 3/4" inseam. I like a 58cm mostly because I have a short torso and want a shorter top tube. You could get by with this frame for a while, but eventually you'll look for something smaller.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I agree. Probably too big. Even though the price seems a bargain, if it doesn't fit well, you won't like it. If you found a really nice suit for $25, but it was 2 sizes too big, would you buy it?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Fuji has odd sizing...

Maintaining 3-5cm of standover clearance is a legitimate guideline, but all those warning about the frame size should note that Fuji, like Trek, measures to the top of the seat tube, so a 61cm is probably no more than a 59cm measured c-t and 57.5cm c-c. Fuji also has a high bottom bracket, which decreases the standover clearance.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
No standards.

Sizing can be confusing, yes. Unfortunately, there are no frame sizing standards. Different manufacturers define traditional frame sizes in three different ways:

1. Center of bottom bracket-to-center of top tube,

2. Center of bottom bracket-to-top of top tube,

3. Center of bottom bracket-to-top of seat tube.

Fuji, like Trek and quite a few others, chose to define their traditional frame sizes as in 3. above. This means that your 61 cm Fuji Finest Al will measure 61.0 cm from the center of the bottom bracket all the way up to where the seat tube ends (which is also the top of the seat post clamp). Therefore, it's difficult to compare a Fuji to any bicycle which is not sized/measured as Fuji does it, but rather as in 1. and 2. above.

If your 32" inseam notation is your pants size, your cycling inseam is most likely longer. For the 61 cm Finest Al you're looking at (nice bike, BTW - did you buy it?), Fuji lists a standover height (floor-to-top of top tube) of 84.2 cm = 33." If you can straddle something 33" off the floor and have a bit of room to spare, you can ride the 61 cm Fuji. Whether or not you can get really comfortable on it is another question. But if you get serious about the sport, you'll figure all this out before you buy your next, much more expensive bike. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided NOT to buy it- anyone interested in this bike can get it from ebay. just tell me and I will give you the sellers contact address.

I decided to instead go fo the Giant TCR Aero2 - that one is going for 800 bucks and I thought why not enter into a decent bike world....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts