Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. Got screwed by work and was off the bike since March (12-16 hour days plus a dislocated shoulder will do that to ya). Well I want to get into some sorta shape in time for the midatlantic cross season. I am 36 (will be 37) and in half decent shape. I do the Cat 4 stuff because I just started last year and don't want to get shelled out the back in the Masters race by the guys that are also Cat1/2.

Should I just hammer on the road (with a LITTLE running) to get my base up and then race into fitness or does anyone have a more orderly idea? I don't expect to be leading the pack by any means at this point, middle of the pack by mid season would have me smiling just fine thank you. :)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Don't do a thing. In fact, sit on your arse and do nothing. I need someone to hang with at the back of the race:p

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
badge118 said:
Should I just hammer on the road (with a LITTLE running) to get my base up and then race into fitness or does anyone have a more orderly idea? I don't expect to be leading the pack by any means at this point, middle of the pack by mid season would have me smiling just fine thank you. :)
You want to work on 15-20 minute efforts at just below LT/AT (whatever you want to call it). Schedule some sessions of those each week. Don't go too hard right now. If you have limited time (like I do), make your miles count and get adequate rest. Once September (or late August depending on your first races) rolls around, you should have the foundation for the spew inducing intervals you'll need to get ready for the real racing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.