Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a fifteen year old Giant road bike and would like to get new wheels. I've got 700x25tires on the original wheels now and a 7sp. cassette, but since it's so old I'm not sure what size wheels I need with all the sizes available these days. I would like to get some that are lighter (everything now is probably lighter) that are also strong. I'm not hard on wheels, but I'm on the heavy side (6'4", 210lbs.). I don't want to spend a lot considering the age of the bike, but will I need to buy and new cassette and rd as well? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Width

Lipton said:
I've got a fifteen year old Giant road bike and would like to get new wheels. I've got 700x25tires on the original wheels now and a 7sp. cassette, but since it's so old I'm not sure what size wheels I need with all the sizes available these days. I would like to get some that are lighter (everything now is probably lighter) that are also strong. I'm not hard on wheels, but I'm on the heavy side (6'4", 210lbs.). I don't want to spend a lot considering the age of the bike, but will I need to buy and new cassette and rd as well? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
More likely your issue is that your rear wheel spacing might not be today's standard 130 mm - probably 126 mm but maybe 127 or 128 mm. Your shifters are set up for 7 spd, but 9 or 10 are the standard now, so you're looking at new shifters, new chain, and new rear derailleur along with a new wheel. Quite possibly not a good investment in your 15 yr. old bike. You have no worry about the wheel size - 700c is the standard road diameter (622 mm tire bead diameter) and all you have to do is chose a width. 25 mm is probably the right width for someone your size.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Like Kerry said, everything is 9 or 10 spd these days, and the hubs are not compatible with 7 spd.

What exactly is wrong with the wheels you have? What sort of hubs, rims, and spokes do they have? Saving a little weight isn't going to make you noticably faster you know...

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current wheels work well, but are obviously old and heavy. I have no idea regarding brand, but it's your basic aluminum, maybe steel wheel and spokes. Granted, almost everything on the bike is heavy but I've always read the wheels are a key culprit. I'm not trying to be a lot faster, just improve an old rig w/o spending too much money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.