Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty new to roadbikes. Try to ride 60 miles a week. Currently I am using my old mtn bike clipins with shimano spd pedals on my madone 4.5
Am looking to upgrade to proper road shoes and pedals. What good brands are there for around $250 for the shoes? Shimano shoes, adidas, diadora, etc...?
Any recommendations?
thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just purchased the Specialized BG Pro Carbon Road shoes for $250. While I like the fit when I tried them on, I haven't ridden in them yet. My second choice was the Shimano SH-R220 shoes, which can be found for around the $250 range.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
I have Sidi Genuis Carbon 6 (I think). They come in a wide size. Shimano makea shoe that they vacuum form to your foot that looks pretty cool. Also, you might want to see about adding some shims between the cleat and the shoe to align your knee properly. There are kits you can get to do this. Look for "Bike Fit Systems: The Wedge (LeMond LeWedge)"

Also, there are lots of custom shoe makers -- people I have talked to said it really helped their cycling to have a custom cycling shoe. Sidi, Carnac Shimano are good brands. I used a Specialized MTB shoe w/SPD cleats for the first 18 months of cycling that I did, then went to regular roadie shoe with SPD-SL cleats when I wore out the MTB shoes.

Custom shoes are going to be expensive, but then again, so are ski boots. You'll probably get a bunch more use out of bike shoes than ski boots.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Find a bike shop that has a large shoe selection any try a bunch on. It's hard to recommend a shoe to someone as it depends on your foot. Sizing runs different, even within models of the same manufacturer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.