Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered, but I seem to be search impaired and couldn't find it. So I thought I'd turn to the brain trust here.

I'm looking for some alloy short reach, short drop bars with housing grooves along the flats. 2 grooves preferred for Campy compatibility, but 1 groove would be better than none.

Anyone have suggestions? Used is fine, 42cm width.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
352 Posts
FSA Wing Pro Compact

I just switched my 2 road bikes over to the alloy FSA Wing Pro Compact.

I was a bit hesitant (retro grump) about the semi-flat top, but I really like it and I like the drops as well.

They dont have cable grooves. I run Campagnolo and run both cables in the front of the bar and then on the bottom of the bar. It is a really clean routing.

In over 25 years of riding it is the nicest handlebar I have used.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dinosaur said:
I use Deda Newton Shallows. Reach 80mm, drop 135mm. They have recessed groves (2). I use Campy.
I'd kinda like less drop. I may end up with the FSA Compact wing bars (alloy). But I'm not a big fan of that flat. I'd prefer round. Wonder if they make a round one?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm now looking at the FSA Omega Compact. It's cheap with 80mm of reach and 125mm drop. If I like it, I may upgrade to the SL-K carbon version of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you looked @ the Salsa Poco bar? 140mm drop, 70mm reach.
The carbon one has a double groove that you would like to have. Hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
x-ger said:
Have you looked @ the Salsa Poco bar? 140mm drop, 70mm reach.
The carbon one has a double groove that you would like to have. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I have that bar on one of my bikes. After riding it for a year, I don't particularly care for the shape of the drops. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I have FSA Wing Pro Compacts. I wanted the Omega, but it was what my dealer could get. The flat top has taken a little getting used to, but I'm happy with it now. The flare makes the brake hoods feel a full size narrower than the nominal size of the bar.

·
Registered
457 Posts
+1 on the FSA Omega Compact if you can get it. I recently put a pair of 44's on my bike and I think they're a huge improvement over the Ritchey's I was running.

I especially like how the tops are a bit shorter than the drops, lengthwise. I love not hitting my forearms on the top corners when I'm in the drops. The flare works for me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'll throw in on the side of the FSA Wing Pro compacts. Rode several other shapes/types, tried the Wing Pro compact on a bike and that was it. Got them on both rides now and can't see any reason to change

Oddly enough, I've tried the much more expensive FSA CF version and don't like them as much.

D

·
Registered
276 Posts
flakey said:
I just switched my 2 road bikes over to the alloy FSA Wing Pro Compact.

I was a bit hesitant (retro grump) about the semi-flat top, but I really like it and I like the drops as well.

They dont have cable grooves. I run Campagnolo and run both cables in the front of the bar and then on the bottom of the bar. It is a really clean routing.

In over 25 years of riding it is the nicest handlebar I have used.
+1 I recently built up my new Parlee with those bars and they are great! very comfortable!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts