Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. So were down to one car and I need my "frankenbike" to be the new errand boy.

I need a rear rack pack that can get me to the dry cleaners: I take about 1-2suits and 2-3 shirts.
I can just cram them in to something. Pick up will be by car so I'm not worried about that.

Also needs to hold 2 days worth of grocery's...loaf of bread,1/2gal milk, some fruit, ect..you get the idea.

I'm planning on doing the quick attach rack as I don't have rack mounts. I could do panniers if that would work better.

web pics really don't give a good feel for the bags....

Need some guidance!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Does "quick attach" mean seatpost mounted? Your half gallon of milk plus a few extra items sounds pretty heavy to carry on one of those systems to me. Maybe not- I`ve never used one, but I always figured they were good for a sweatshirt and a lunch and not much more. Are you willing to use P-clips? Maybe a trailer? Or maybe the word is that your quick attach idea will work out fine.

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rodar y rodar said:
Does "quick attach" mean seatpost mounted? Your half gallon of milk plus a few extra items sounds pretty heavy to carry on one of those systems to me. Maybe not- I`ve never used one, but I always figured they were good for a sweatshirt and a lunch and not much more. Are you willing to use P-clips? Maybe a trailer? Or maybe the word is that your quick attach idea will work out fine.
Yeah it's a seat post attach. Says it's good for up to 25lbs...

No trailer!!--I'm not ready to go that far...

What are p-clips?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
OldSkoolFatGuy said:
Will the large mess bag hold that much "stuff"?

Reco on one?

sure... chrome metropolis. kremlin if you need gigantic

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the biggest Timbuk2 messenger bag they offer and it was ENORMOUS. I'm a big guy, 6' 3", 200+ lbs and this monster bag engrossed my back. I actually had to send it back because it was too big. According to their website, it holds 26 rolls of toilet paper. Just food for thought if you go the messenger bag route.

-Rob

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
There are racks that don't require frame braze-ons to work . . . you may want to look into these before you commit to going the seatpost route.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
OldSkoolFatGuy said:
What are p-clips?

Val Garou is right- I was thinking about using P-clips with a regular rack, but there are also racks designed especially for frames with no brazeons. I think OMM and Tubus both offer them, maybe others.

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone... I'm gonna go the messenger bag route... Looks like it will do all that I want it too.... I may go to a rack system down the road if I need more space.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
this could be a good 'starter' bag... same capacity as the metropolis albeit different shape. price is right @ $48 incl shipping http://store.banjobrothers.com/?p=3
T2s can be had fairly cheaply at backcountryoutlet if you're not too picky on color

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FatTireFred said:
this could be a good 'starter' bag... same capacity as the metropolis albeit different shape. price is right @ $48 incl shipping http://store.banjobrothers.com/?p=3
T2s can be had fairly cheaply at backcountryoutlet if you're not too picky on color
Will that be too large for all the "crap" I need to haul around?
I guess I'm a little lost on the correct size for my needs..see first post..

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
OldSkoolFatGuy said:
Will that be too large for all the "crap" I need to haul around?
I guess I'm a little lost on the correct size for my needs..see first post..
There's gonna be some trial and error about this...look at it as an adventure.

You may find, for example, that the size of the bad doesn't matter because you don't like the weight on your back. Or that it gets hot, and you'll need a different solution in the summer.

Just pick something that looks close and give it a whirl--then adjust accordingly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts