Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and this will be my first real bike that I might buy. I was hoping someone could help me identify the model of this bike. The seller doesn't remember the model, all he knows is it might be 2016ish. He wants about 130 usd for it. I plan to go look at it Saturday. My main reason for buying it is to commute to work, which is about
20km roundtrip.
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
21,212 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and this will be my first real bike that I might buy. I was hoping someone could help me identify the model of this bike. The seller doesn't remember the model, all he knows is it might be 2016ish. He wants about 130 usd for it. I plan to go look at it Saturday. My main reason for buying it is to commute to work, which is about
20km roundtrip.
2016? More like 1986. Merida doesn't make bikes like that. Unless they make a department store model that's not on their website. That thing has department store components, quill stem, and some sort of handlebar grip shift. Like you would see from Walmart.
You could buy something equivalent new from Walmart for $200. That thing is worth $50.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
tlg beat me to it, but for one thing the headset design would indicate it's older than 2016.

That said, Merida does seem to make bikes with lower-end specs if you browse their website.

If you have nothing and want/need something, I would try to talk the seller down, otherwise save just a little bit, be patient, and a much better deal will come along.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,498 Posts
Looks like one of those heavy boat-anchor dime-store bikes. In fact, it looks an awful lot like those "GMC" bikes WalMart sells, except for the stickers. Kickstand??? Platform pedals, dork disc and twist-shifters? Looks like it sold for $169 new a few years ago, and was probably overpriced at that! If you want a 40lb.+ lead-sled, go for it. FWIW, I doubt it's worth even $100.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I thought this bike could be junk since there's no model name or number on it. Plus it's not in any of their current catalogs. More than likely I'll buy a used Giant Escape from a bike rental company in town for about the same price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts