Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just found this awesome Trek 5200 frame at a garage sale, but I'm having trouble figuring out the year of the bike... can anyone help? I uploaded a picture of the frame here:

Also, I can't find the size anywhere! Does anyone know how to measure/where to find the size? Yah I'm a newbie.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
measurement

Measure from the center of the bottom bracket shell to the top of the top tube, paralleling the seat tube. Make sense? Since the tubes are thick, the C-T measurments make the Trek frames ride a bit smaller than they are labeled.

Is that a threadless headset on that pup or an adapter setup?

Why did the prev. owner strip and sell the frame?

Cool.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
amflyer said:
Measure from the center of the bottom bracket shell to the top of the top tube, paralleling the seat tube. Make sense? Since the tubes are thick, the C-T measurments make the Trek frames ride a bit smaller than they are labeled.

Is that a threadless headset on that pup or an adapter setup?

Why did the prev. owner strip and sell the frame?

Cool.

Steve
Ha I have no idea why he sold it. But it was $60 so I couldn't resist! Here's a picture of the headset/stem. I really don't know anything about it except that it says AheadSet by Dia Compe and Tioga on it. The stem is made by Ritchey I think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth...

but give the frame a thorough exam, looking for any cracks. Check the bottom bracket area especially. Unless the seller knew squat about bikes or was just desparate to unload it for quick cash, I can't imagine parting with that much hardware, especially on an OCLV frame, for $60.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
On the basis of that one image, I can tell you your home phone number and your home address... how are things in Sunnyvale? And what is a bikealog?

Just an FYI, lest some of the crazy folks get ahold of the info...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
filtersweep said:
On the basis of that one image, I can tell you your home phone number and your home address... how are things in Sunnyvale? And what is a bikealog?

Just an FYI, lest some of the crazy folks get ahold of the info...
Thanks for telling me, I didn't really think of that...

There now I changed the links so only you know my home address. Are you from Sunnyvale?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Actually,

You are quite right, according to the trek site. Center to top of seat collar it is.

Steve-O

·
Registered
383 Posts
There should be a sticker on the underside of the bottom bracket with a serial number. Call trek and give them the number. They can tell you the year built, size, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drone 5200 said:
There should be a sticker on the underside of the bottom bracket with a serial number. Call trek and give them the number. They can tell you the year built, size, etc.
The one that says "This cycle conforms to..."?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Inspector Gadget said:
but give the frame a thorough exam, looking for any cracks. Check the bottom bracket area especially. Unless the seller knew squat about bikes or was just desparate to unload it for quick cash, I can't imagine parting with that much hardware, especially on an OCLV frame, for $60.
It's so bizarre! I suspect something is wrong, but I sure can't find the problem. Garage sales are the best; two weeks ago I got a nice classical guitar for 20 dollars at one!

Not a bad morning adventure- bring a backpack and a bike and go garage sale hunting, you never know what you might find...

·
Registered
197 Posts
The serial # may be on the rear dropout. Take a look at all the metal parts, my experience has been that trek stamps one of them with the serial #.

·
Non non normal
10,072 Posts
A pal of mine rides that exact frame when not riding one of his two colnagos. He thinks his is a 1995 year or close to it. Also, that frame came with a threaded fork and headset so the fork has been swapped out. He rode his in the rain this past Wednesday for 58 miles with me and commented on how he loved the bike because he didn't have to worry about messing it up.

Measurement of the oclvs are center to top of seat collar. Check the top tube center to center and their charts to confirm the size. They haven't changed their geometry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bigrider said:
A pal of mine rides that exact frame when not riding one of his two colnagos. He thinks his is a 1995 year or close to it. Also, that frame came with a threaded fork and headset so the fork has been swapped out. He rode his in the rain this past Wednesday for 58 miles with me and commented on how he loved the bike because he didn't have to worry about messing it up.

Measurement of the oclvs are center to top of seat collar. Check the top tube center to center and their charts to confirm the size. They haven't changed their geometry.

Awesome, thanks everyone for the information! You guys have been really helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts