Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Trek Madone 5.2. Finished a ride earlier today and saw this stuff on the non drive-side crank. I can wipe it off with a bike wipe but I am concerned it may indicate some problem with the bottom bracket. OTOH I did go through a couple of puddles (slowly) but it is only on one side. Any idea what it is? I am concerned it may be grease leaking out. View attachment 282646 View attachment 282647

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the tools to remove the crank arm. What kind of risk am I taking if I just clean it off, keep riding and see if it reappears? Only other alternative for me is to take it straight to LBS. Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, right now it's dried up. Not the consistency of grease as far as I can tell. Feels kind of rough to the touch. None on my shoe. Nowhere else on the bike, just that crank arm. On the one hand it looks like something that could have leaked from the BB. OTOH it would have to be a liquid consistency I think to travel that far down the crank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What gets me is that if it leaked from the crank, said material would be thrown outward by centrifugal force, and the bolts are higher than the centerline, so why would it drip in that direction, through the center of rotation? Shouldn't it drip from bolts to short end?

Well maybe if it occurred after storage, and it's a gravity drop.

Again though, material from bolts from where? I thought those bolts clamp the solid arm to the solid axle, and wouldn't any fluid drip to the bottom side of the BB anyway?

You got kids? Or spouse that acts like one? I wonder if they spilled something and didn't tell anyone?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 water bottles. One with water, the other with water and a Nuun tablet. Not leaking as far as I can tell.

Couldn't have been spouse or kids. Crank was clean when I left on the ride. Noticed it as soon as I finished (before I got home).

I don't know if this matters but the stuff comes off easily with just a damp cloth.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
How 'bout very rusty fixing bolts oozing rusty water down the crank arm. There wouldn't be any on the drive side because no fixing bolts.

In any case you ought to buy some tools or bring it into a shop to be checked. If the bolts are rusty enough to run like that who knows what else may be happenin' down there.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
It's a MTB pedal.

Remove it and install some proper road pedals ;)

Just kidding :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I have decided to just wipe it off, keep riding and see if it reappears. Came right off with a damp rag, and does not seem to have corroded anything. I'll be bringing the bike into the LBS in a couple of weeks anyway so I can ask them to remove the crank and have a look at it then. Thanks, all.

·
9,790 Posts
Definitely isn't grease. Your bike doesn't have a magic bottom bracket that can make grease appear on the outside of a crank arm...it would be on the inside of the arm, if anywhere.

You ran over something while out on your ride. No need for paranoia or causing your shop to refer to you as "that crazy paranoid guy"...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You ran over something while out on your ride. No need for paranoia or causing your shop to refer to you as "that crazy paranoid guy"...
That's hilarious. I've always been amazed at how well most shop employees manage to deal with the OCD tendancies so often found in cyclists both professionally and with a straight face. I wouldn't be able to pull it off.

"I want what the pros use guy" and "how many grams is that guy" must be a real treat too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.