Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Looks to be mid 80's as a guess. If he supplied a complete serial, you could nail it down. Merckx's go by a letter code for a date. The number he supplied is useless, there should be a letter, and two sets of numbers on the BB shell.

I don't think it is a 90's bike, being SL and having a flat fork crown. I'm not sure how late they still offered the flat fork.

Did you buy it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting. lettering the decals in the pic in the previous post are mixed case.

from the pic on ebay has all capital letters on the decal. I snooped around and found the 1990 catalog at:

http://www.tearsforgears.com/2008/02/eddy-merckx-1990-catalog.html

if you scroll down to the corsa page you see the same paint scheme and the same lettering on the decal to the bike on ebay. does this mean that the ebay bike is a 1990?

thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The factory offered Faema (and Molteni) replicas from time to time. I wouldn't look to the paint scheme to date the bike.

Like the rest of you, I highly doubt its a '93 - the portion of the serial the listing references isn't the date code.

If the Corsa decal is original, its post-85. Derailleur cable routing, brake bridge and the SL decal (as versus the early, no SL specified decal) all suggest late-ish 80's at the earliest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.