Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to install these barrel adjusters on my brake lines. I'd like a little more tension then what I have. If I tighten it by pulling the cable and clamping it, it's hard to get undone to get the wheels off. I have an 08 XO2, which has Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers w/SRAM Rival levers. I'd like to install these Jagwire in-line cable adjuster. I know they will go in the cable housing, but I guess I'm not grabbing the concept. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

in-line adjuster
http://harriscyclery.net/product/jagwire-in-line-cable-adjuster-1062.htm

-Gianni-

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The adjusters consist of a threaded barrel and nut both made to accept the housing, with the wire passing through the middle uninterrupted. Turning one part with respect to the other moves them apart increasing the total length of the housing, which has the same effect as shortening the wire.

Obviously they work in the opposite direction also, so they can be set up at the maximum length and turned shorter to open the brake the way quick releases work on road bike calipers. Except that it would be more like slow release, and you'll soon wish you had a better scheme.

The adjusters are fine for fine tuning the brake adjustment, but for wheel removal you should disconnect the yoke (crossover) cable from the brake at one end, allowing the brake to open wide fro wheel removal.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent time time tinkering around with the brakes. I mostly played with the tension by adjusting at the anchor bolt. I made sure to go as tight as I could go, but still able to unhook from the brake to pull off a wheel without getting hung up. I also need to bring the hoods up a bit due to me being stretched out a bit further then I liked. Once I did that, I was able to have more leverage on the brake levers. I'm going to try this out a bit. I'm not to sure if I need the barrel adjusters. I'll try it out. I don't want them to tight. I want to be able to brake while in the drops if needed, lol.

-Gianni-

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,443 Posts
you don't necessarily want your brakes "as tight as you can make them"...having them loose enough that you have some modulation but can still lock up the wheel is generally better. most people don't like the light switch effect...you know, brakes either on or off

1 - 4 of 4 Posts