Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to get a road bike and so far I have narrowed it down to...
-Giant ocr 2
-trek 1200
-Fuji newest
-Felt f80
-Specialized allez sport

All of these bikes seem to be in the same price range but I simply cannot decide which bike I should choose. I also do not know if I should haggle the price in a local bike shop or try to find the bike online(having no luck so far). I have read threads of people finding the same components of a bike I am after for a much cheaper price, but I think I would feel more comfortable with a more widely known company like trek or giant. My last question is, has anyone found these bikes being sold online with the possibility of shipping or has anyone found any of these bikes new for under their MSRP. Thank you so much for any suggestions, I am new to road bikes but I love to ride daily and I am just trying to find the best price.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Your mind is not lost

Most of these bikes are the same. Get the prettiest one IMHO.

Dont forget you may pay more at a local shop, but you also get a better fit, and a warenty.
If anything breaks with an online bike, you may get screwed over, or have to wait for replacement parts.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Here's a brief version of my "all the same" lecture....

At that price level, there's not enough room for manufacturers to do much--they'll all have about the same components, with cost-cutting in different places (cheap headset on one vs. cheap saddle on another, stuff like that). If you see something that looks like a steal, there will be something you can't see that makes up the difference. So buy the one that fits best, or from the shop with the best reputation, or the one that's prettiest, or flip a coin. That's what all of us do, unless we're at the point where we can buy custom.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Something else to ease your mind: if you fall for the sport hook, line and sinker, you'll be looking for a faster, lighter bike sooner than you think - and whichever bike you buy now, will either be sold or become the #2 rain bike. If you get out of cycling, it doesn't matter much either which bike you bought. Either way, relax and enjoy whatever you get. :)

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
They may not go for it but ask for a 10% discount. Some of the LB here always offer discounts from MRSP and some don't. It can't hurt to ask.

With exception of the Fuji (Maybe) the other bikes are not sold online due to agreements between the LBS and the manufacture.

Get the one that gives you wood!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi,

I started riding last year to lose weight. Worked! AStarted wth a Tek hybrid and graduated to a Giant TCRc1. Great bike.

To chose it, I rode many. That's the key. ANd when you narrow it down as you have, the best thing to do is to ride them again and narrow them more. At some p-oint, I just knew this was the bike I wanted. The fit is the most important, no critical, thing. Your bike has to fit you.

Buying accessories like jerseys and things on line is OK. I do it. Still at 220 it's hard to find things that fit in bike shops that think everyone who rides is 150 pounds.

But, for a bike, I think I would buy from a bike shop. Developing a relationship with them is important. Repairs are quicker. My tuneups are free. And, they have taught me so much about bikes and bike repair. I had the main mechanic do a special bike repair and maintenance class for the bike club. They loved it and he made about $300 in an afternoon at $15 a piece. He drops what he's doing now when I show up and helps me.

I bought the bike during a sale, saved 25 percent. Plus made friends and advisors who love to see me coming into the shop.

Have a great time with your bike. And remember, fit is the most important aspect of the whole deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good Time to buy 2005 models

Now is a good time to check the LBS for last years models. Beyond having a lower list price than this year's models, they are frequently marked down in addition to that. I just purchased a 2005 LeMond Tourmalet for $945 - I was looking at a new Reno for $880, but upgraded to the Tourmalet because they are running in the $1100 - $1200 range - not sure it's hard to get an MSRP on LeMond for some reason. Took my first ride this morning - it was pure joy!

Anyway - First test ride and decide which you want. I was looking at similar bikes and tried most of the ones on your list. All good bikes, just comes down to fit and personal preference.

Once you chose the bike, THEN look for a deal. I don't think most bike shops ship - so you probably just need to call around to the shops within a reasonable driving distance.

Even if you end up paying full list price - I doubt you will ever regret it.

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.