Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ab aeterno
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a mountain biker and looking to get into cyclocross racing.. I've done a couple races with my mtb and am now looking at getting a cx bike. I found a 2003 redline conquest pro for 900 bucks. Here's the specs
• 9-speed Dura-Ace Shimano Bar-end Shifters
• Shimano Aero-brake levers
• Shimano 105 Front Derailleur
• Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur
• Shimano Ultegra Cassette
• Shimano Ultegra Double Chainring Crankset
• Shimano Ultegra Bottom Bracket
• Shimano M540 Pedals
• Shimano cantilever rear brakes
• Shimano HG-93 chain
• Avid Shorty 4’s front brakes
• Wheelset Professionally built by Excel Bicycle in Boulder
• Ultegra hubs with Mavic Open Pro’s
• Bontrager Select Invert 35C Tires
• Avid Rollamajig
• 3T Prima 199 Handlebars
• Selle Italia Flite Titanium Seat
• Ahead Headset
• 3T Forgie Stem

Now is this a good bike for 900 or can I do better for cheaper? I have only 1000 to spend. at most.
The guy says he's ridden it for only 100 miles and hasn't really raced it. (I don't know how true that is)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Looks solid to me for a first cross bike, especially with all the ultegra. I'm sure if you were really patient & looked around more you may save a little $ but it would be hard to beat a (almost) full ultegra bike for this price. The wheels are good too. I'd go for it if your certain on the fit. From the pic it looks like it may have been a couple sizes too big for the guy, assuming thats where he ran his seat. My .02 cents. Good luck!

DP

·
ab aeterno
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's the bike exactly. I live two hours from him. So I was thinking about seeing it. I'm pretty sure a 58 will be good for me, too. Thanks.
Should I go lower at all or is that a reasonable asking price?

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Where

TheDon said:
Yeah, that's the bike exactly. I live two hours from him. So I was thinking about seeing it. I'm pretty sure a 58 will be good for me, too. Thanks.
Should I go lower at all or is that a reasonable asking price?

Where do you live at? I'm in Rochester....

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
DPCX said:
Looks solid to me for a first cross bike, especially with all the ultegra. I'm sure if you were really patient & looked around more you may save a little $ but it would be hard to beat a (almost) full ultegra bike for this price. The wheels are good too. I'd go for it if your certain on the fit. From the pic it looks like it may have been a couple sizes too big for the guy, assuming thats where he ran his seat. My .02 cents. Good luck!
I agree. Haggle though. That aint a $900 bike. There is an auction for a 57cm Lemond which looks good if the geometry fits. Also the Fuji Pro 58cm isn't bad either.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
$900 is an OK price, but no great bargain. Note that it has barcons for shifting insted of STI. Some people prefer barcons for their durability and low replacement cost, but STI is so much easier to use in a race. It may be a lot of Ultegra spec, but the most expensive part (the shifters) isn't included. The crank looks like it has standard road rings on it as well (a bit overgeared if you are looking to race).

Also note that the tires on the bike are not CX tires, more or a commuting tire (no knobs for grip). Once you add in the price of a cheap CX tire set ($40 ?) any bargain is more than eaten up. And it wasn't really a bargain to begin with.

For $1000, there are new bikes out there with full 105 STI that can be had, or go used and pick up a real bargain.

·
ab aeterno
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok Thanks again for all the help. I know it gets annoying sometimes helping someone who's got very little idea about what's going on.
Gripped recommended the Fuji, i's a 56 cm, I'm pretty sure that's not going to work, I'm a tall guy, 6'2" with a 34 inseam. I think I'd need at least a 58. Am I wrong?

The LeMond is right now 795. Good price or too pricey?

Or if you guys could point me at any other bikes that'd be great.

LeMond Bike Fuji Cross

1 - 10 of 10 Posts