Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a bit of a quandry. I am not sure what would be the most appropriate bike rack for my new Mustang. Are there any recommendations for a model rack that might be easy to attach and remove on the fly?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in a bit of a quandry. I am not sure what would be the most appropriate bike rack for my new Mustang. Are there any recommendations for a model rack that might be easy to attach and remove on the fly?

Thank you!

I have spent a lot of time googling but I was looking for some experienced recommendations. thank you

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I would recommend one where you don't take the wheels off. The one I listed the bikes hang, if you only use it once in a while they work. If your going to do a lot of high speed travel or a lot, get one that has a platform.
I have a van, but I used one similar to the one I posted with the bike hanging when I had a car. I made mine myself.

·
Registered
19,269 Posts
1UPUSA. There is no better rack.
Worth every penny. Folds up tighter to the car than any other rack when not in use.
Wheels stay on. Loading / unloading in under 10 seconds.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'll second the 1up racks. If I ever get the trailer hitch (that's sitting in my garage) on my GLC, the 1up is what I plan to order.

It's seriously "neat" from both an engineering standpoint and simple to use. Folds up when not in use and also easy to remove.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Worth every penny. Folds up tighter to the car than any other rack when not in use.

thanks I need to visualize how these attach. the drawing seem abstracted. they will go on my 1 1/4" hitch?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Yea, that is weird, they don't ever show any bikes on the rack. Pretty hard to visualize what is going on.

·
Registered
725 Posts

1up photos

With the 1-1/4" hitch, I think you are limited to 2 bikes. (Quick Rack single with a single Add-On rack).

There are a number of reviews, etc. on youtube which show how the rack works.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow now I am close to sold. I just have to figure out which model is best for my mustang.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,431 Posts

There is no better? That is some promotion!

What do you think of Kuat? They seem pretty solid and had good ratings:

·
Registered
19,269 Posts
There is no better? That is some promotion!

What do you think of Kuat? They seem pretty solid and had good ratings:

The Kuat is probably #2. It's a good rack.
But it's not better than the 1UP.
It's slower to load.
It's more expensive.
It requires a buckle strap on one wheel. Not great for carbon wheels. The 1UP only contacts the tires. No other part of the bike.
And it's a giant monstrosity hanging off the back of your car. A friend of mine has one. The thing is seriously huge. It stick out so far beyond the car.

I wouldn't want to strap down carbon wheels like that.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,431 Posts
The Kuat is probably #2. It's a good rack.
But it's not better than the 1UP.
It's slower to load.
It's more expensive.
It requires a buckle strap on one wheel. Not great for carbon wheels. The 1UP only contacts the tires. No other part of the bike.
And it's a giant monstrosity hanging off the back of your car. A friend of mine has one. The thing is seriously huge. It stick out so far beyond the car.

View attachment 479028
I wouldn't want to strap down carbon wheels like that.
So I guess it's safe to say Kuat doesn't 1 up the 1UP?

Yeah, that strap looks kinda flimsy anyway, regardless of wheel type. I definitely like the platform types better than those hitch racks that have the bikes hanging. Though for now, I'm sticking with my Thule roof rack.

·
What the what???
12,666 Posts

Yep. A bit spendy, but definitely well made. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah, that strap looks kinda flimsy anyway, regardless of wheel type. I definitely like the platform types better than those hitch racks that have the bikes hanging. Though for now, I'm sticking with my Thule roof rack.
The strap is more than adequate for it's purpose, which is just to keep the rear tire from bouncing up and down on the platform.

I have two Kuats. One is several years old now. That strap is as sturdy as the day it was new. Never had it damage any rims - not even a mark.

I only mount two bikes at a time, but sometimes it's two heavy e-bikes, and the Kuat holds up very well.

Only con for me - It is expensive.

It's also much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, which may or may not matter (I'm guessing it does considering you bought a new Mustang ) :p

1 - 20 of 44 Posts