Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,388 Posts
1up...only way to go. Never had that problem of the tire slipping off center. Not w/ any bike. I painted mine to match my car :cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
That only happens if you don't push the arms tight against the tire.
But the bike can't go anywhere.
Believe me, they're tight. Happens maybe 60% of the time. I bought the rack in 2013 and it gets a lot of use, so maybe something's worn. Both trays do it and the original trays had smooth glide bars, but I swapped them out for the toothed ones. I contacted the company some time ago, and they sent me some new parts, but didn't correct the problem. Maybe a bungee cord between the bars would help, or these:

·
Registered
876 Posts
One other pro for the Kuat that wasn't previously mentioned.

They have an optional workstand called the 'Trail Doc' (or Tri Doc?), that attaches to the rack (NV2.0) or can be used as a standalone work stand. I actually used this quite a bit when I was travelling between two homes for a couple of years. It's not the sturdiest thing, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Believe me, they're tight. Happens maybe 60% of the time. I bought the rack in 2013 and it gets a lot of use, so maybe something's worn. Both trays do it and the original trays had smooth glide bars, but I swapped them out for the toothed ones. I contacted the company some time ago, and they sent me some new parts, but didn't correct the problem. Maybe a bungee cord between the bars would help, or these:
I've got those plastic stabilizers, and they help keep the front wheel from wobbling on my road bike. I don't use them with the 40c tires on my gravel bike. But if you're properly securing the wheel I don't see how your tire can get 'off-center' in the pic you showed. If your tire is truly centered in the guide (without the plastic gizmo), then your wheel is really getting a tighter fit as it drifts to the edge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
besides this product are there any other products recommended or is this a "Second to none" situation?

I ask because these are out of stock for at least one month.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Kuat is 2x the cost of the 1up, but there are no 1ups currently in stock. Also Kuat to me appears more bulky and will not store flush to the rear of the car as nicely as 1up.

Is that a correct assessment? One day, not sure when, presumably there will be more !ups on the market.

·
Registered
19,114 Posts
Also Kuat to me appears more bulky and will not store flush to the rear of the car as nicely as 1up.

Is that a correct assessment? One day, not sure when, presumably there will be more !ups on the market.
1UPUSA. There is no better rack.
Worth every penny. Folds up tighter to the car than any other rack when not in use.
The Kuat ....
And it's a giant monstrosity hanging off the back of your car. A friend of mine has one. The thing is seriously huge. It stick out so far beyond the car.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,341 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
3 years ago I decided to go with the Kuat Transfer 2 over the 1UP mainly because it was so much cheaper at that time.
I paid $289 and it has been an excellent bike rack.
As for using the straps there is zero concerns for using them on any wheel. All of my bikes have carbon wheels and it is not an issue at all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a Thule Double Track Pro XT. Fits 1.25 and 2" hitches. Holds anything from road bike up to 5" wide fat bike tires without changing anything. Secure, locks each bike and the hitch, folds up pretty cleanly, and sells for $350. To each his own but $700-$1000 for a bike rack is kind of silly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got those plastic stabilizers, and they help keep the front wheel from wobbling on my road bike. I don't use them with the 40c tires on my gravel bike. But if you're properly securing the wheel I don't see how your tire can get 'off-center' in the pic you showed. If your tire is truly centered in the guide (without the plastic gizmo), then your wheel is really getting a tighter fit as it drifts to the edge.
I think I have this problem sorted out. I pull both bars into the tires but now pull apart after that to ensure the cam locks are engaged fully with the teeth. After two tries of doing this, the tire was centered after a drive. Hope this description is understandable.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have a Thule Double Track Pro XT. Fits 1.25 and 2" hitches. Holds anything from road bike up to 5" wide fat bike tires without changing anything. Secure, locks each bike and the hitch, folds up pretty cleanly, and sells for $350. To each his own but $700-$1000 for a bike rack is kind of silly.
“Sells for” should read “sold for”. According to Amazon and REI it is no longer available.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
another happy 1upUSA user here. The Best or Nothing. Fits every bike I own from 3 inch fat knobbies 40+lbs bike to 23c roadie bikes without any hint of shortcoming or failure in my experience. The bikes can be positioned linearly over a significant range along the tracks so as to avoid each other too, which is a super useful features especially with a mix of bikes like MTB+roadbike

I've never see what MDM shows above with the tire not centred. I suspect a very limp wristed tightening of the arms, ie user error. The guy should have his wheels' quick releases checked too then imho.

Kuat and Thule hitch racks all look cheap and ugly. The 1up looks like a custom engineered precision instrument.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've been looking for something to replace my Thule T2. The T2 is great for MTBs, but the way it rests on the fork on my road bikes isn't ideal (paint scuffing). That issue can probably be partially solved with foam/padding, but still. Annoying. I was looking at the 1up as a replacement... the way it is secured into the receiver seems a bit strange though. I have a couple of friends with the rack, and both have had the ball get jammed, making it a huge PITA to remove. Is this common? I install/remove the rack several times per week, and I'd rather not have issues with what looks like a poor, overcomplicated design. The T2 has a threaded bolt through the rack and hitch, which is simple, quick, and rock solid. I've used the Thule for about a decade without issue, if that helps the OP. Aside from the road bike fork issue, it's a great rack.

·
Registered
160 Posts
3 years ago I decided to go with the Kuat Transfer 2 over the 1UP mainly because it was so much cheaper at that time.
I paid $289 and it has been an excellent bike rack.
As for using the straps there is zero concerns for using them on any wheel. All of my bikes have carbon wheels and it is not an issue at all.
I have the transfer rack and it works good. I haven't seen any issues with the straps, but the hook things for the front wheels are kind of cheesy in my opinion. There are shallow dents in a rod that the hook slides on to adjust for different sized wheels, with a little spring loaded pawl to keep the hook in place. One of mine broke on the first trip, and the other one skips teeth and loosens over time. I could have called Kuat to see what they would do to fix/replace it but I ended up just using a bungee cord to hold each of the hooks tight to the tires and it's worked fine that way for several thousand miles. The rest of the rack is sturdy and seems well made. Aside from that I'm happy with it. It is pretty bulky. Mine's on the back of a pickup truck or a camper so it doesn't bother me but it might look a bit goofy behind a Mustang.

·
Registered
19,114 Posts
I was looking at the 1up as a replacement... the way it is secured into the receiver seems a bit strange though. I have a couple of friends with the rack, and both have had the ball get jammed, making it a huge PITA to remove. Is this common?
I have two 1up's. One is 5years old. It's always installed on my car. I've had it off a handful of times over the years. Never had an issue with the ball or getting it out.
The other 1up is on my wife's car. It's been on and off a bit more. Never had any issues.

I just googled this. I saw a few reports. One was a burr on the ball that they smoothed out and fixed the problem.
I could see how a burr or grit in there could cause an issue.

I install/remove the rack several times per week, and I'd rather not have issues with what looks like a poor, overcomplicated design.
Any reason your install/remove it so often?
I think the design is rather simple and easy to install remove.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have two 1up's. One is 5years old. It's always installed on my car. I've had it off a handful of times over the years. Never had an issue with the ball or getting it out.
The other 1up is on my wife's car. It's been on and off a bit more. Never had any issues.

Any reason your install/remove it so often?
Good to hear. I'd prefer a simple bolt, but seems like the tensioned ball works well enough the majority of time. It has a bit of the 'finding a solution for a problem that didn't exist' thing going on though. People do seem to love these things though, so I'm guessing it's not a widespread issue. Is it wobble-free on rough roads etc.?

I don't like having a rack on the car if I'm not going for a ride. Perhaps a 1up is less of an issue, but a T2 isn't small or light, plus the hitch on my current car is short/doesn't stick out much, so I can't fold the rack without it hitting the bumper.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts