Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Which tire- michelin pro3 race light or continental gp 4000?

• Pro3 race light

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Gp 4000 (colored, not s?)

Votes: 10 66.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
need help deciding between michelin pro3 race lights and continental gp 4000. Only between these 2. want color. Currently ride open corsa evo and they feel rough to me.
LOW rolling resistance
Need good puncture resistance. I ride on shoulders that always seem to have glass and gravel on them. how good is durability and wet weather on each? Weigh 116

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
I need help deciding between michelin pro3 race lights and continental gp 4000. Only between these 2. Having a bike built and want the light blue color. Have used pro3 a few years ago. Currently ride open corsa evo and they feel rough to me.
I need something with LOW rolling resistance (which I loved with pro3)
Need good puncture resistance. I ride on shoulders that always seem to have glass and gravel on them. I know gp is prob. Superior in this? I hate changing flats, my legs start to get stiff while I'm doing it, but I want a smooth ride too. Please help. Tires will be on good wheels and bike is full carbon incl. Seat post and bars. I weigh 116 and will be riding 200/week or so. Also how good is durability and wet weather on each? Thanks for your help.

Please pole based on what I'm needing as a whole. I already know weights so not concerned with this except that michelin will prob offer much less resistance since it's several grams lighter ?
The Pro 3 Light rolls much better than the colored GP 4000 which does not use the black chili rubber compound (only the all black has the nano rubber). They difference I would estimate to be 10 - 15 watts on a real road. However the Pro 3 Light is not very durable - the puncture resistance is much less than the Pro 3 Race tire hence the reduction in weight. I'm surprized that you feel that the open corsa CX rides rough. Possibly try some latex tubes and stick with the Corsa's if that is an option and you are happy with the ride ??

Edit - as the other poster noted you may have too much pressure in the Corsas - I failed to note that you are very light. The Conti's would probably be the best choice plus it will be better training if you are trying to hang on to group rides. :)-)

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Stop with the vanity thing and get the 4k S. If anything thought the Vits you are riding are superior on feel...not harsh. Perhaps you are riding too much pressure.

I have Pro3s on my current main wheelset and think they are great handling but not so good at flat resistance. The Contis OTOH have always been my go to tire. Best balance of all and very good rr.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
Stop with the vanity thing and get the 4k S. If anything thought the Vits you are riding are superior on feel...not harsh. Perhaps you are riding too much pressure.

I have Pro3s on my current main wheelset and think they are great handling but not so good at flat resistance. The Contis OTOH have always been my go to tire. Best balance of all and very good rr.
Actually the colored GP 4000 doesn't roll very well at all. The black GP 4000S is much better.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
I am aware of that and did not say anything about the colored GPs other than to quit worrying about colors.
OK - I mistakenly thought you were recommending the colored 4K's but were indicating the 4K S (GP 4000S). Early morning mistake. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's not so much vanity as it is that I get bored with plain old black tires. Have been riding 130 psi. Range is 120-140. Decided to drop to 125 a few days ago, but can't feel difference. Will drop a bit more. Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
I run 23c Vittoria Open Corsa's at 95 psi front and 100psi rear with challenge latex tubes. very smooth and very fast, I weigh 145lbs. At 125psi they must feel like crap. Let some air out of the tires and try again.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,893 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just going by the psi on the box. I even called Performance Bike and told them my weight and asked the guy in the tech. dept. what I should run. I should've known to get another opinion when I felt like I knew more than he did on it. He didn't seem to think my weight would matter! I will drop air out of them when I ride in the morning. It's time to get new tires, but if this fixes the problem with ride quality, I would def. be willing to try another set. They've been pretty good on puncture resistance. I really appreciate everyone's help on this.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
May I suggest that next time you have a question, just straight out ask it & don't do a poll thread. You were fortunate that you got some spot on advice but usually most of the senior members here avoid polls because they've been done to death. As for performance, just because someone works there doesn't mean that they actually do any serious riding. For all you know, that person on the end of the line could be 500 lbs & chain smoking.

I too weigh more than you & I've never run my tires at 130 or even 140 psi. That is crazy high. With pressures that high, you run the risk of blow outs. Unless you are riding track, there is no benefit of running that high a pressure on the road. Like car tires, over inflation will lead to premature wear notwithstanding the super harsh ride. Recent studies by the manufacturers have shown that lower tire pressures actually offer the greatest advantages in terms of rolling resistance. For your weight I would second the recommendation of 95 front & 100 rear.

The great thing about cycling is that there is no right or wrong. Just a set of guide lines to follow & then to experiment until you find the optimum that works best for you because no 2 people are the same. Try those pressures & if you find that it seems sluggish to you, then try going up 5 psi front & back. Or if you have the front dialed in but the back still feels sluggish or that there is too much tire flex, try going up another 2 psi or until you get things dialed in. When I was racing, I always ran my tires no higher than 112. Even at that pressure on super hot days blow outs are a possibility especially if one is using a super thin, light weight tube. Give it a try & next time you have a question to ask, just post it normally :~)

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
May I suggest that next time you have a question, just straight out ask it & don't do a poll thread. You were fortunate that you got some spot on advice but usually most of the senior members here avoid polls because they've been done to death. As for performance, just because someone works there doesn't mean that they actually do any serious riding. For all you know, that person on the end of the line could be 500 lbs & chain smoking.

I too weigh more than you & I've never run my tires at 130 or even 140 psi. That is crazy high. With pressures that high, you run the risk of blow outs. Unless you are riding track, there is no benefit of running that high a pressure on the road. Like car tires, over inflation will lead to premature wear notwithstanding the super harsh ride. Recent studies by the manufacturers have shown that lower tire pressures actually offer the greatest advantages in terms of rolling resistance. For your weight I would second the recommendation of 95 front & 100 rear.

The great thing about cycling is that there is no right or wrong. Just a set of guide lines to follow & then to experiment until you find the optimum that works best for you because no 2 people are the same. Try those pressures & if you find that it seems sluggish to you, then try going up 5 psi front & back. Or if you have the front dialed in but the back still feels sluggish or that there is too much tire flex, try going up another 2 psi or until you get things dialed in. When I was racing, I always ran my tires no higher than 112. Even at that pressure on super hot days blow outs are a possibility especially if one is using a super thin, light weight tube. Give it a try & next time you have a question to ask, just post it normally :~)
Not the tire manufacturers but Tom Anhalt:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/What_s_in_a_tube__1034.html

Optimum pressure depends on the road condition as well as rider plus bike weight. Also some good info on rolling resistance with respect to tube material.

I don't have any problem with a poll - no harm no foul.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It's not so much vanity as it is that I get bored with plain old black tires. Have been riding 130 psi. Range is 120-140. Decided to drop to 125 a few days ago, but can't feel difference. Will drop a bit more. Thanks
At your weight, go <100psi for sure. I weigh 170 and run 90-100 psi. It makes a big difference.

If you need better puncture resistance, then the GP4000 with black tread is the best combo of puncture protection, long life, and speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts