Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help!! I accidently dropped another bicycle onto my Colnago C50 frame. The frame is clear coat over carbon, color code NS03. All Colnago factory original. I want to touch up the chips so they do not grow or flake any more clear coat. The three chips are about 2-3mm in diameter. The underlying carbon fiber is good. Any ideas?
Thanks Mark

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You can buy small amounts of clear coats in the touch up section of an automotive store. Lightly brush it on the exposed area and let dry.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used clear nail polish on my C-50 when it shipped clear coat, mine was about 1 cm square caused during shipping, held up fine. Go raid your wifes make up box, she'll definitely have some.

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
idris icabod said:
I used clear nail polish on my C-50 when it shipped clear coat, mine was about 1 cm square caused during shipping, held up fine. Go raid your wifes make up box, she'll definitely have some.
This is what I use as well.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
chip in clear coat

How deep is the chip? If you can see/touch the actual carbon, then you need to be careful. If carbon gets wet it can get damaged, so you need to be sure the sealant fully protects it. If the chip is anymore than a scratch, then you have probably chipped the resin, not just the thin clear coat.

If it is a cosmetic chip, I would do a light sanding to snarf the edges and then do a few a layering of clearcoat to fill it in. Overfill it and then sand it with a fine grit. I would use a spray clearcoat to finish and then buff it out with a polishing compound. Sounds like a lot, but you paid a bunch for the bike, so it is worth it.

If you exposed the CF, I would do the same sanding and then apply an epoxy resin (not polyester resin), to fill the whole. That will bond with the existing resin on the bike and make a permanent fix. You'll have to sand and finish and then spray clear coat and buff. You can get the epoxy resin from a bunch of sources - and it isn't that expensive.

Quite frankly, it sounds more complex than it is. I patched a bad scuff in my CF frame and the whole process took a total of 4 hours over a 2-3 day period ocnsidering you have to let stuff dry. Now it looks like new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts