Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ones I have are the 6 speed (I believe the 7400 model). The 7 speed is probably similar. I don't know if the 8,9,or 10 are similar.

Long story short I took these off a bike not realizing how many parts there were. After all they're just 6 speed shifters. I never kept track of the parts or what order and now I want to reinstall these puppies and I'm S.O.L.

So does anyone have a set that they would be willing to layout in the correct order photograph and email me that photo? I would be grateful. If you don't have a camera a description would also probably work. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dura-Ace downtube shifter

Here is a photo I took of my shifter. I numbered the parts in sequential order. I purposely left out number 1. The first part is the plastic outer ring/dustshield. Mine broke awhile back and I no longer have it. It is only cosmetic. If you have yours install it. If not, like me, forget it. Be sure you install them on their respective sides. The picture I took is of the right side shifter. Note the way the cable is fed in (from the top) and the tab on the back to keep it from spinning around. It will be obvious which side is which by their range of motion once installed. Also be sure to insert the tab on the spring (item 5) in the hole in item 4. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've tried repeatedly to post a pic and this forum is not allowing me to do so. I can e-mail you the pic if you still need it.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
you need to use HTML code here. Use img src="file location here", but enclose the command with square brackets. Very simple.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Albacore emailed me the pic(thanks!). It is of a pre 7400 shifter so I am still on the prowl for a 7400 (or later) dura ace downtube shifter picture. I think the problem with posting the pic is bc the file size was 1.4MB. A resize should work. so who's got some old DA downtube indexed shifters laying around? thanks again.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
it appears they have changed schematics bw the 6 speed and the 8&9 speed. Some of the parts look difn't and I've got 14 pieces for the right side and 8 pieces for the left. I think I figured out the left side. The right side is difficult to figure out. I bet their fishing reels are fun to work on. So now I'm thinking the 7 and 6 speed have similar schematics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I'm a moron too and I just joined rbreview so I can't start a new thread. So, I thought I'd semi-hijack this thread to ask a different shimano downtube shifter question. Apologies in advance if I"m way over the line on that!

I was recently gifted a bike and upgraded the left downtube shifter to a 105 friction shifter that was in my parts bin. The shifter has a distinct "stop" where it kind of clicks into place. Should this stop be set for the small or big chainring? The problem I'm trying to cure is that the friction slips on bumpy roads when in big chainring. My front derailleur is Ultegra. Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey, I'm a moron too and I just joined rbreview so I can't start a new thread. So, I thought I'd semi-hijack this thread to ask a different shimano downtube shifter question. Apologies in advance if I"m way over the line on that!

I was recently gifted a bike and upgraded the left downtube shifter to a 105 friction shifter that was in my parts bin. The shifter has a distinct "stop" where it kind of clicks into place. Should this stop be set for the small or big chainring? The problem I'm trying to cure is that the friction slips on bumpy roads when in big chainring. My front derailleur is Ultegra. Thanks for your replies!
not sure which direction the shifter is pointing when it clicks, but if its in the forward position, it should be in the lower chain-ring and if in the vertical position, should be on the big. I have late '80s 105 shifters on my bike, but the left shifter doesn't index on mine. Honestly, I don't see the point in having an indexing shifter for the front deraileur. I'd just set it to friction and be done with it as long as its shifting properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 105 shifter i have is not indexed but it does have one single "stop" postition where it kind of locks in. I aligned this for a big ring setting and solved the problem of slipping over bumps when the cable is in max tension. The bike rides a lot better now. About all I have to figure out now is if there is a way to put a barrel style or other cable adjustment device on a friction shift front derailleur setup with no cable housing anywhere. This would help me align the "stop" better as the cable stretches. Its a bare cable from the shifter to the ultegra FD. Ideas?
P.S. The other day a guy with battery powered shifting pulls up next to me and we have an interesting discussion about old school vs state of the art. Tradeoffs for sure, and maybe time for an upgrade on the 80s trek?

·
Registered
513 Posts
P.S. The other day a guy with battery powered shifting pulls up next to me and we have an interesting discussion about old school vs state of the art. Tradeoffs for sure, and maybe time for an upgrade on the 80s trek?
You are not seriously considering a Shimano electronic group for an '80s Trek? :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
silly rabbit, batteries are for lights

Yep i'm not serious, just forgot the :D When it comes to bikes, methinks batteries are for lights :thumbsup: But I'll leave that debate to another forum. For now I'm happy with vintage "Lance style", that being friction front/index rear. Happy riding!

·
Hide Age and DOB
834 Posts
The 105 shifter i have is not indexed but it does have one single "stop" postition where it kind of locks in. I aligned this for a big ring setting and solved the problem of slipping over bumps when the cable is in max tension. The bike rides a lot better now. About all I have to figure out now is if there is a way to put a barrel style or other cable adjustment device on a friction shift front derailleur setup with no cable housing anywhere. This would help me align the "stop" better as the cable stretches. Its a bare cable from the shifter to the ultegra FD. Ideas?
Have you adjusted the front derailleur stops? The reason there are no adjusters for your rear derailleur is because a front derailleur does not need to be adjusted that close; generally all you need is to just take the slack out of cable when the adjuster is in the low position. BTW, the adjuster should have a stop that stops the lever parallel to the down tube, this is the bottom or small chain ring position. When you pull the lever down it should go to about 90 deg to the down tube, that's the high or large chainring position. I have not seen many 105 shifters that were not both friction and indexed (SIS). However the front derailleur was still friction only, so I'm assuming it clicks in the lower (parallel position).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts