Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second year road biking and saturday I did 115KM about 3:50 and after3 hours, the pain in the feet got so bad I had to stop, loosen my shoes and walk around for a few minutes. I have Shimano R122 shoes and Ritche SPD peddles. The pain started in the balls of my feet, and soon included the toes. I would appreciate any comments/info as I hope to extend my riding this summer to do a century ride later.
thanks,
jiggs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ouch.

anyway, you don't need your shoes all tight and laced up. keep them real loose. i tie mine up just so the laces don't go flopping everywhere. your feet expand as they get warmer so if you lace tightly, after 15/30 mins that will be one tight shoe.. that should fix it. if not, get look pedals, which have a larger base and won't have hotspots.

sd

jiggs said:
This is my second year road biking and saturday I did 115KM about 3:50 and after3 hours, the pain in the feet got so bad I had to stop, loosen my shoes and walk around for a few minutes. I have Shimano R122 shoes and Ritche SPD peddles. The pain started in the balls of my feet, and soon included the toes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do keep them pretty, I like the feel of no

room to slide around in the shoe. Maybe I'm getting them too tight. I might have to get into a pair of pedals with a bigger platform though. I wonder if anyone else has issues with the smaller, lighter pedals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same problem and I had strapped in too tight on the straps closer to the toes. Now I stand in my shoe when I strap in. It helps flatten out my foot moreso than sitting down and strapping in. I strap in pretty tight at the ankle strap.

Dana - Love his LOOK pedals too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
about ten minutes into my ride I pull hard on the toe and

and middle straps, prolly tooooo tight. It feels good to have real positive contact between the foot and the pedal, but after about 3 hours, it feels pretty bad. I'll leave a little room in the toe and see if that solves the problem. Otherwise a large platform pedal.
thanks for comments

·
Registered
21,582 Posts
Another tip - move the cleats back

Too-tight shoes and small platform pedals certainly are problems, but also consider moving the cleats back a bit on your shoes. This spreads the forces over a broader part of the foot.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you have hard orthotics, wear them.

They also help disperse the contact across your foot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts