Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have assembled a hybrid type of bike. The only problem I have come to is the front derailleur. I have an LX FD with an FSA Gossamer 50/39/30 triple crankset. I am using Shimano LX shifters/levers and I love them, but I am having trouble lining everything up.

The derailleur doesn't move inward far enough and too far outward. Is this a problem with the different combination of road and MTB parts? Can I put a 5mm BB spacer (or 2 2.5mm spacers) on the drive side of the BB to move the crank out by 5mm? This will bring the crank inline with the FD? Will this cause a problem with the non-drive side of the crank arm?

Does anyone have any experience with the Shimano FD-R773 or the Shimano FD-R443? I hear these are the only FDs that will work with flat bar shifters and a road crankset, true?

Thanks for the help,
Ian

· Registered
797 Posts
Have you played with the limit screws?

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
wow....5 mm is an awful lot.................imo ......I just ran into the same type problem last weekend trying to put a mtn crankset on a hybrid....it flat out didn't work....had to go back to the drawing board.

· Registered
232 Posts
Shimano Road front derailleurs do not play well with their MTB shifters so that is not really an option.

The LX front derailleur is not designed to handle road cranksets either. It is designed for a crankset with a 50mm chainline. The FSA has a 46mm chainline (there is your difference right there).

Here are two options
1. Get a set of LX FC-M583 cranks (or similar)...they come with a 48/36/26 chainring setup and are a 50mm chainline

2. Get flat bar shifters and a road triple front derailleur and keep the FSA crankset

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
w98seeng said:
I have assembled a hybrid type of bike. The only problem I have come to is the front derailleur. I have an LX FD with an FSA Gossamer 50/39/30 triple crankset. I am using Shimano LX shifters/levers and I love them, but I am having trouble lining everything up.

The derailleur doesn't move inward far enough and too far outward. Is this a problem with the different combination of road and MTB parts? Can I put a 5mm BB spacer (or 2 2.5mm spacers) on the drive side of the BB to move the crank out by 5mm? This will bring the crank inline with the FD? Will this cause a problem with the non-drive side of the crank arm?

Does anyone have any experience with the Shimano FD-R773 or the Shimano FD-R443? I hear these are the only FDs that will work with flat bar shifters and a road crankset, true?

Thanks for the help,
Ian
I have a road bike frame with XTR shifters and Ultegra (9-sp) triple crankset and FD. Works great. - TF

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Touch0Gray said:
wow....5 mm is an awful lo.
I made a spacer out of a piece of plastic (to test if it will work) that is about 3mm thick. The derailleur is better aligned, but still doesn't shift well. I am thinking of getting an R773.

Thanks all for the help,
Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.