Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a road 9 speed ultegra crank and chainrings (about 5 years old) that I want to pull off to change the 30T ring with a 26T I got for climbing.

I have read Zinns book but haven't found the answer.

I used an 8mm hex wrench to remove the screw holding the crank on to the bottom bracket. No problem.

My problem is the crank does not seem to want to come off the bottom bracket. I'm afraid to go any farther without advice.

Thanks in advance,
kayak42

·
I drank what?
29 Posts
Crank Puller

This is what you need.

·
I drank what?
29 Posts
It's a Park CCP-4 Crank Puller

You can get them at performance, nashbar, excelsports, lbs, etc.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
kayak42 said:
I have a road 9 speed ultegra crank and chainrings (about 5 years old) that I want to pull off to change the 30T ring with a 26T I got for climbing.

I have read Zinns book but haven't found the answer.

I used an 8mm hex wrench to remove the screw holding the crank on to the bottom bracket. No problem.

My problem is the crank does not seem to want to come off the bottom bracket. I'm afraid to go any farther without advice.

Thanks in advance,
kayak42
If it is a 6500 series, there was a ring outside of the bolt; like a dust cover with a hole in it. Put the crank bolt back in, put the ring back in ALL THE WAY (almost all the threads engaged), turn the bolt back out. It will hit the ring and push the crank off. - TF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.