Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am buying speedplays, my first clipless pedals. and i'm looking for shoes compatible with them. my budget for shoes is at most $100. what shoes fit this criteria?

also, since i will be buying online because of the bargains what should i know about the sizing of bike shoes? my sneakers are 45cm(11) and walking shoes are 43.5 or 43(10.5). sneakers are of larger size probably due to extra padding. what size would you recommend? thank you

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
Most shoes will work with Speedplays...

you won't have a problem there. As for sizing...the best thing I can tell you is to go to a shop in the area and try a bunch of shoes on. That's the only way that you'll know if they fit well. Shoes are the only thing that I'm leery of mail or internet ordering...unless I'm getting some direct replacements (same manufacturer, same model, same size). Since you're starting from scratch...go to a shop. They might give a little bit of a discount if you buy the shoes and pedals together.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nater said:
you won't have a problem there. As for sizing...the best thing I can tell you is to go to a shop in the area and try a bunch of shoes on. That's the only way that you'll know if they fit well. Shoes are the only thing that I'm leery of mail or internet ordering...unless I'm getting some direct replacements (same manufacturer, same model, same size). Since you're starting from scratch...go to a shop. They might give a little bit of a discount if you buy the shoes and pedals together.
i have never seen shoes in the shops where i live. plus if i put them through the hassle of trying on different sizes and then not buying anything, it doesn't look good. the discount i can get online should save me at least $50 over any shop's price.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
I would'nt buy online unless it was what i already had.The sizes very to much. A 45 in shimano wont be the same in another brand and width is different. Speedplays website has a chart that tells you which shoes work.

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
Discount doesn't matter...

dovid said:
i have never seen shoes in the shops where i live. plus if i put them through the hassle of trying on different sizes and then not buying anything, it doesn't look good. the discount i can get online should save me at least $50 over any shop's price.
If the shoes don't fit. I didn't mean you should go to a shop and put them through the hassle of trying on a bunch of shoes without buying anything...you should buy them from the shop! With some things, like shoes, the increase in price that you find at the bike shop over internet ordering is worth it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been riding speedplays for the last eight years and love them, however, the shoe issue has been somewhat more problematic for me. I went through several pairs of mid-priced shoes (shimano, Nashbar) and found they weren't stiff enough. Because the Speedplays have a small platform, I was really feeling them on longer rides. A very uncomfortable and painfull "hotspot" on the sole of my foot. Inserts offered some help, but not enough. I finally dropped the $$ for a pair of Carnacs w/ the carbon sole and presto- life was good again. My advice would be to get the stiffest sole you can, even if it costs more initially; you will save in the long run. My first pair of Carnacs lasted six seasons, just replaced with a new pair last year- only because my wife thought the old pair looked a bit dated and determined they would be a good birthday present. Now the old pair are my bad weather shoes. The point being, good quality shoes will last quite a long time and make riding so much more enjoyable. Just my two cents, good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts