Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Domokun!
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having Mike Terraferma build me a new custom frame. Why custom. I know some of you will ask. I need a 53cm st and a 57tt. I was blessed with stubby little legs and a loooong torso.

Anyways it's been a long time since my last custom (bringheli w/SLX and lugs) back in the late 80's.

I need to chose between Spirt or S3. Either fillet brazed or TIG welded.

Most of the guys I ride with all ride older bikes, and none of the shops around here even know what steel is! A little joke, pardon me...

Thoughts on tubing. I know the "dimensional differences" I need help with the ride characteristics!

I'll mostly be riding fast group rides, and a few old guy races. I have the bringheli for everything else. This will be my "go fast" bike.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
OldSkoolFatGuy said:
I'm having Mike Terraferma build me a new custom frame. Why custom. I know some of you will ask. I need a 53cm st and a 57tt. I was blessed with stubby little legs and a loooong torso.

Anyways it's been a long time since my last custom (bringheli w/SLX and lugs) back in the late 80's.

I need to chose between Spirt or S3. Either fillet brazed or TIG welded.

Most of the guys I ride with all ride older bikes, and none of the shops around here even know what steel is! A little joke, pardon me...

Thoughts on tubing. I know the "dimensional differences" I need help with the ride characteristics!

I'll mostly be riding fast group rides, and a few old guy races. I have the bringheli for everything else. This will be my "go fast" bike.

Thanks!
You could always see if someone's got an NOS supply of SLX...

Actually, the latest issue of Vintage bicycle quarterly has some good things to say about some of the new light steel tubes- http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/currentissue.html

I'd go fillet brazed if it was me. It's just so beautiful. If yer going custom, you might as well go pretty.

·
Domokun!
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
buck-50 said:
You could always see if someone's got an NOS supply of SLX...

Funny...That's exactly what my ridding Buddy's said. Then one piped up and told me to move up to EL-OS- It was a good laugh!!

Still though I'd like to try all new stuff!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Even the best tig welds are not as aesthetically pleasing as fillet brazing. Brazing just oozes of hand craftsmanship, tig welds...even very well done...still have a "production" feel to them IMO. Ride quality wise, it doesn't really seem to make a difference though (having owned lugged, tig'd, and brazed steel frames)...the tubing is more important.

I think you'll find that S3 and Spirit will ride very similar so I think it comes down to wanting to go with an American or an Italian flair.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
How tall?
How fat?
What tube diameters?
Do you want the bike to be a work of art, or do you want the bike to be like a quality hammer, that you take care of, but use everyday.

If you are over 180/190, instead of S3, you might go with True temper OX Plat. S3 is a little thinner, and probably won't crash as well.

·
Domokun!
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jesse D Smith said:
I would hope the customer's builder would be trusted over any of us. He should be making recommendations with confidence.
He did just that.

Spirit top tube, seat stays and head tube, Ovalized S3 down tube, round seat tube, and Oval chain stays.

52.4 seat tube with 74deg, c-c. 56.5 tt, 73.5deg head tube with 44 rake Alpha Q GS30. Should give me a trail of 51 give or take a little.

Fillet brazed. I'm old school what can I say.

Looking forward to my little firecracker!!!

only 10 weeks to wait!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.