Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1/2 roadie 1/2 offroad
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking to be the fastest guy on the block or even to road race. I am interested in being able to make my century times faster and to better hang with "most" of the fast guys in a big group ride. I am you average Joe who works 45 hours a week and loves to ride but likes to have a life too. If I get fast enough I may even do a mtb race if I get fast enough. Not much interest in road racing at least for now.

Now that you know what I am like do you have any advice on a good training book or training info?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Got a HRM?

Those I know are either using Carmichel (CTS), Friel's "Training Bible", or nothing. Any book you get is going to require a Heart Zate Monitor to be effective.

Following the two plans above will be overkill for a non-racer. They may be too structured/rigid. OTOH, you could read them and then decide which aspects to fit into your personal training regimen.

I read Friel's book 3 years ago. It was a bit overwhealming for me as a beginner road racer. Each year since, I follow it more closely, learning from experience gained from previous years. It has been a great guide to develop my fitness as I also work on race experience, weight, and nutrition.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Check out Friel's other book....

"Cycling Past 50" actually has very little in it about being over 50. It does lay out a much simplified full year training plan based on "The Cyclists Bible". Also includes a section on training for personal best times in a century.

TF

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Carmichael book is a joke. The Friel book is great, but may be more detailed than you need. Still, I would highly recommend it. As someone above mentioned, you may appreciate it more in a year or two. I've heard that Burke's book is pretty good, too, and seems to be somewhere in between Friel and Carmichael.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts