Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for cruiser type bike for hitting the bike path system here with my wife and daughter on their electra cruisers.

I wanted the Masi Soulville, but my riding bud beat me to one..

I like the Pashley Guv'nor, but too expensive.

Anything cool and caught your eye out there besides the Electra type beach cruisers?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
trek belt-drive ss... firemans cruiser. retrotec classic/merlin newsboy

·
Registered
449 Posts
Trek?

Right off, I was going to suggest the Masi before I read the rest of your post. Those look pretty nice. Really though, just because your friend bought one doesn't mean you can't, but I understand that you'd want something different.

FatTireFred mentioned the Trek belt-drive. The Soho has an internally geared 8-speed hub with a belt drive. Looks intriguing-- priced at about $1,000, so in the same range as the Soulville. They also offer a single-speed model if you want to keep it really simple.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It's funny how we come up with excuses for a new bike, as if an existing mountain bike would not handle the bike path. :) I am in London now and I have about a year to figure out a way to convince the wifey to allow to to take a Pashley Guv'nor back to the US with me! There is one on display in the window of the corner bike shop. A beautiful bike indeed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
similar situation...i am looking for a casual ride that i won't get bored with...i just saw the giant seek...flatbar, will accept a decent range of tires, from slicks to small knobbies and the price range is from 600-1100 or so...discs and internal gears are options...the guv'nor is awesome looking...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it is just an excuse for another bike, but my wife bought into it since she loves her electra.

I have 2 road bikes, a hybrid , 2 mountainbikes (FS and Hardtail ), a fixie, ... just looking for that stylish relaxing ride machine to cruise with the family to the ice cream shop.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
desmo13 said:
I know it is just an excuse for another bike, but my wife bought into it since she loves her electra.

I have 2 road bikes, a hybrid , 2 mountainbikes (FS and Hardtail ), a fixie, ... just looking for that stylish relaxing ride machine to cruise with the family to the ice cream shop.

use the hybrid... save the 'new bike card' for a nicer road, fg, or mtn bike

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I agree about using the hybrid... but, if you must... and we all must... buy a new bike... that Masi looks GREAT! The Trek seems very soulless. What about building up a really cool bike? Get some Nitto Albatross bars on an old steel frame and some Schwalbe Fat Frank tires in cream color. I am just trying to think up a bike to put those tires on! Maybe use the Pashley Guv'nor as a target model? That sounds like fun! And you wouldn't worry about performance with any choices just style!

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
desmo13 said:
I am looking for cruiser type bike for hitting the bike path system here with my wife and daughter on their electra cruisers.

I wanted the Masi Soulville, but my riding bud beat me to one..

I like the Pashley Guv'nor, but too expensive.

Anything cool and caught your eye out there besides the Electra type beach cruisers?
I think you're on the right track with the Soulville. Just get a different color than your bud. I'm with you on riding with the wife and kids on a cruiser. I feel ridiculous riding one of my carbon wonder bikes with my daughter on her "sidewalk find" pink Schwinn! Go for the Masi, then post pics and a ride report so I can 'justify' it to my wife and blame it on you when I get one! :idea:

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
lancezneighbor said:
if you must... and we all must... buy a new bike... that Masi looks GREAT! The Trek seems very soulless.
Agreed! The Masi looks fantastic. The Trek looks cold, but the belt drive is kinda cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts