Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving from FL to CA soon and my new house in CA has a smaller garage. I've
enjoyed (apparently) a luxurious amount of garage space in FL. I've got 8 bikes (2 tandems) and a lot of tools to store. I will be using overhead mounted in the center of the ceiling to store boxes etc.

anyone who's interested, please post some ideas or pics of how you deal with small storage spaces.

Thanks-
gersting
 

·
hello
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
Ever since buying the house some 18 years ago, our 2-car garage has never seen a vehicle in it.
 

·
Failboat Captian
Joined
·
6,559 Posts
I've got hooks up against the back corner of my garage. The hooks are on the side wall, so that the bikes face the other side, as opposed to facing the garage door. They are ung by their front wheels, and I offset the height of each one by about a foot, so that the bikes could be closer together because the cranks and bars won't hit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,555 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
They are ung by their front wheels, and I offset the height of each one by about a foot, so that the bikes could be closer together because the cranks and bars won't hit.
Yes, offset or alternating orientation is the key. I used to hang 6 bikes against my garage wall, with the lower tire about 4 inches off the ground. Alternating handlebar up and handlebar down allowed me to hang one bike about every 12 inches. The hooks are still there, not so the bikes. Down to 2 . . :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured alternating was key. Right now I just hang them vertically, between the track for
the garage door and the outer wall. That same area is much smaller in my new garage, so
I'll go for a compact space. Only 3 bikes see routine use anyway. Despite the love of garage space to work, I am a car junkie too, so cars must go inside as much as possible.

Now...what about ideas for compact work areas? I am debating a new rolling tool cart which, if well organized would not require pegboard on the walls (at least minimal) and would double as a mounting spot for the vice and truing stand
for example-
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959622000P?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+%26+Tool+Storage&sName=Chests+%26+Cabinets
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Wall or Ceiling Mounted Rail System

Hi

Currently I use one of the wall mounted rails (mine is a Rubbermaid FastTrack) you can get from Home Depot, Lowes. I have it mounted high on the wall, and store 6 bikes vertically (hang by one wheel). By alternating seats up and handle-bars up, you can get pretty efficient.

I have also had my eye on the Wrench Force VeloGlide system, which is a sliding rail overhead system. It is on sale at the following website:

http://wheelandsprocket.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=5401



The site has a nice little video as well.

One of the coolest work areas I have seen was a buddy who build his own "Drawbridge" style work bench. It was huge, and space efficient, but you could not mount anything heavy duty on to it.

Regards
 

·
I like Chicken
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
gersting said:
Nice area. Lots of people. OC has
always been one of my favorite
So Cal areas. Lived there off and
on as a kid.
 

·
I like Chicken
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
Maybe not a well thought out concept on my part
but I've always wondered if you would suffer any ill
effects from hanging a bike by the wheels. Would
it possibly affect the truing or shape of the wheels?
I understand they're made to hold the rider but what
if all the force comes from one direction?
I like the idea for my tiny apartment which is why I ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,245 Posts
I have the Veloglide. It's the only bike related thing I ever bought that my wife approved of. I now keep 5 bikes in the space I had 2 before. Check with your local Trek dealer. Wrench Force is a Trek name that is being discontinued and they had close out pricing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
OldRoadGuy said:
Maybe not a well thought out concept on my part
but I've always wondered if you would suffer any ill
effects from hanging a bike by the wheels. Would
it possibly affect the truing or shape of the wheels?
I understand they're made to hold the rider but what
if all the force comes from one direction?
I like the idea for my tiny apartment which is why I ask.

Hanging a bike from its wheels will not affect the wheels. The weight of the bike is not enough to damage anything. The only problem with hanging a bike upside down is with some hydraulic disc brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
I have at least 8 bikes hanging from rubber coated hooks screwed into the ceiling joists of the garage. I've placed them down the center (between the two doors, and along the edges where they won't get in the way. Fortunately, we're all pretty short (I'm the tallest at 5'8") so head clearance is not an issue. Next step - for the new tandem - will be to hang over where the hood of the car is parked when it's in the garage. Yes, I use both sides of my garage because I live where there's winter and I'd store my bikes outside before I'd give up my garage!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Camilo said:
I have at least 8 bikes hanging from rubber coated hooks screwed into the ceiling joists of the garage. I've placed them down the center (between the two doors, and along the edges where they won't get in the way.
Unfortunately, I have just a single garage door at this house. I have only 12" between the outside of the garage door track and the outer wall of the garage. I think I will hang 4 bikes (by two wheels; 2 per side of garage) and let the handlebars drift into the "garage space" a bit.

Camilo said:
Fortunately, we're all pretty short (I'm the tallest at 5'8") so head clearance is not an issue.
I am 5'11", but still not too big an issue i guess, so long as the bars aren't waiting right outside the car door or something


Camilo said:
Next step - for the new tandem - will be to hang over where the hood of the car is parked when it's in the garage.
Get those hooks in the studs...a tandem is pretty heavy when heaving it up to the ceiling. Mine are tough at times even by one wheel, hanging by two is going to be rough if you are 5'8". You might even consider a "drop" ceiling from 2x4 with the hooks lower.

Camilo said:
Yes, I use both sides of my garage because I live where there's winter and I'd store my bikes outside before I'd give up my garage!
Agreed! I grew up in the midwest and even after 9 years in FL and moving to CA, the garage is a spot for cars as often as possible
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top