Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does this brake mount at both seatstay and chainstay positions? or only at seatstay position?
I want to mount at chainstay position, and i'm looking at this one below:

Cxwrench?

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you guys sure about this??

I understand that Shimano rear DM brakes come in two varieties, seatstay and chainstay (they have different part numbers). The reason I'm saying this is because I ordered the "chainstay" variety and apparently it's blocking my left-arm power meter, and guys were saying that try FSA or Bontrager ones because they will allow the power meter to clear.

and fyi, the ebay seller replied to question about this and he said this is for seatstay mount, although he might not know what he was talking about.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,415 Posts
Yeah, the Shimano brake has 2 models. Bontrager doesn't. The Bontrager is intended for use on seatstays but I'd swear I mounted one under a chainstay at one point. I don't remember a Stages being involved but that very well may have been the reason we tried it.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update:
brake doesn't work with chainstay mount. Now I see why. The 2 pad holders drop below (and between) the chainstays.
I guess when the seller said this brake was for seatstay, he was right after all.
Oh well, I really like the Bontrager one because it looks sexy and lighter than the Shimano one. Guess I'll have to return it.

·
Neophyte
2,143 Posts
I believe a lot of people with the power meter clearance issue go with TRP direct mount brakes, you might want to check those out.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe a lot of people with the power meter clearance issue go with TRP direct mount brakes, you might want to check those out.
which TRP model? T850 (centerpull) or T851 (sidepull)? or it doesn't matter? and is the sidepull model more powerful of the two?
Sidepull is what the current Shimano one is.

·
Neophyte
2,143 Posts
851 is what most people in the Scott owners group I'm in go with. I'd imagine it depends on your frame cabling. If your Shimano is side pull I'd go that route with the TRP as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts