Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Need Jersey Selection Help

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ROAD&DIRT 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first cycling jersey and noticed in the sizing/description fields the follow info...

1) Raglan Club Jersey
2) Race Fit
3) Body Mapping

What's the difference between the fits?:confused:

#2 ·
club cut is a lot roomier and loose fit.

race fit: pretty snug.

Body mapping: hellifIknow.

and now, the really good news -- there can sometimes be a significant size differential between manufacturers. One maker's XL may be the same size as another's L (or even M!), and so on. European manufacturers also tend to run smaller than American ones. First purchases can be rough -- I'd advise avoiding ordering online in favor of going to a shop where you can try on jerseys to assure a good fit.

#4 ·
What they said...

...re club fit vs. race fit. There is race fit and then there is race fit, however. I have a Descente Carbon Jersey that fits real close but is stretchy and very comfortable. I have some race fit Adidas jerseys that fit fairly close, but no annoyingly so. I think the new materials make it so you can get a relatively close fitting jersey that doesn't flap in the wind but is almost comfortable and doesn't make anybody except Twiggy look like an escapee from a sausage factory. Believe it or not, body mapping, which is an Adidas concept, has nothing to do with fit:

"Body mapping is a breakthrough concept that analyzes how your body regulates temperature and sweat during exercise. First, Adidas identified the different zones where heat and moisture are released based on gender, body type, and weather conditions. Then they designed performance apparel that meets the specific environmental demands of the tennis court." This is obviously re their tennis line, but I'm sure it works the same for the bike gear.

Finally, what they said about sizing variations across manufacturers, and the Euro down-sizing phenomenom (see Assos...). A Pearlizumi Large in bib shorts and jersey fits me well, and Descente in Large and Adidas in Large fit me real well. In addition, I like the construction, durability, and well, body mapping on all three, so I look for this stuff on sale, at Sierra Trading Post, for example...

#6 ·
Thanks for insight... I like the body mapping concept, I guess the best thing is to go try a few on.... like I need another reason to go vist my LBS or outdoor sports center:D

Again thanks

#7 ·
I echo the sentiment about different manufacturers have different ideas what Large is. i have a twinsix jersey in a large and it runs a lot smaller than my specialized jersey which is a large as well...the arms are really tight as is around the chest. My only regret is not being able to try it on before i bought.

#8 ·
you aren't kdding about the sizes. I have them ranging from M to XXXL.

#9 ·
Semi-related story:

Yesterday I was in at my LBS and an attractive woman came in to try on jerseys.
The first one was very tight and revealing, showing off 4 inches of her navel and leaving little to the imagination. I am not entirely sure it was for riding. I turned to my builder and whispered... "Now that's what I call race fit".

#10 ·
Raglan is a method of attaching sleeves. Most sleeves are "set in" and IMO/IME bind more and are less comfortable than raglan sleeves. I always buy raglan if there's a choice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raglan_sleeve

Set-in sleeve style: Set-in sleeves are tailored and somewhat fitted, like a dress shirt. This sleeve style fits more closely than the other styles, following the curve of the arm and shoulder, without being tight.

#11 ·
Sorry, you are totally wrong...

Dajianshan said:
Semi-related story:

Yesterday I was in at my LBS and an attractive woman came in to try on jerseys.
The first one was very tight and revealing, showing off 4 inches of her navel and leaving little to the imagination. I am not entirely sure it was for riding. I turned to my builder and whispered... "Now that's what I call race fit".
...that, my friend, is "body mapping"...sorry, Adidas...

#12 ·
There's a lot of places...

fireplug said:
Where can one buy some cheap sleeveless jersey at?
...you can get cheap anything, including your LBS in a recession and during the offseason. I get a lot of great cheap stuff from Performance, Excel Sports in Boulder, Colorado Cylist, and also, don't forget about Sierra Trading Post, if you know your size and what you are looking for...

#13 ·
fireplug said:
Where can one buy some cheap sleeveless jersey at?
If you're not afraid to wear last year's (or two years ago) stuff, head to the LBSs in your area and hit the clearance rack...it seems they all have one these days. It used to be that you only found really fuggly stuff that way--during my own personal financial crises over the years I wore exclusively fuggly stuff purchased this way:)--but these days a little patience can get you into some nice kits for very little coin.

I'm genuinely sorry for the retailers, but there's not much reason to pay MSRP for much of anything if you don't want to these days.

#15 · (Edited)
View attachment 167819 Thanks for all the info... I bought the following two jersey's.

The adidias jersey has a race fit so with that being said its snug. I wore it last weekend and seems pretty good, kept me cool for the whole ride.

The other is made by Primalwear... Its a Raglan style and fits pretty good as well, but not a snug as the Adidas... I haven't had the change to wear yet. Planning on wearing this coming weekend for my Metric Centry ride.

View attachment 167818
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.