Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going guys? I'm a UCI student starting to look into picking up biking as a steady hobby. Following the advice on the forum I wanted to look for a LBS, preferably somewhere in Irvine for convenience reasons(though a good store in the OC will be acceptable. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rock N Road Cyclery

Glevan said:
How's it going guys? I'm a UCI student starting to look into picking up biking as a steady hobby. Following the advice on the forum I wanted to look for a LBS, preferably somewhere in Irvine for convenience reasons(though a good store in the OC will be acceptable. Thanks guys.
http://www.rocknroadcyclery.net/
I also went to uci. class of 1994. Now back at uci for more punishment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was also thinking about picking up a summer job at one the LBS, as I need money for the bike itself. So I think Bike Religion is out because it's a small shop and I don't think they will hire someone without an experience since they don't really need a stocking guy. What have you guys heard about Sand Canyon Cyclery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been looking for my first bike and have been to over 7 shops. I've been to sand canyon cyclery. They sell fuji and some other brands.

The owner is very nice and helpful. Only talked to him briefly though.

The next time I went in i talked to another worker with a lazy eye. He was inpatient and rude. There were no other customers around, but he would only answer my questions with brief unhelpful answers. When I asked to get fitted he said he "didn't want to waste his time." I'm brand new to biking and he wouldn't even give me an estimated fit!! very unprofessional.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glevan said:
Was also thinking about picking up a summer job at one the LBS, as I need money for the bike itself. So I think Bike Religion is out because it's a small shop and I don't think they will hire someone without an experience since they don't really need a stocking guy. What have you guys heard about Sand Canyon Cyclery?
Nice to see another UCI student here. I'm a second year just getting into it all.

Sand Canyon Cyclery was the best shop I found. I've been to roughly 10~ shops in the Irvine, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Ladera areas, and have found that Sand Canyon Cyclery is the best, hands down. A few posts below was talking about an employee that didn't prove to be much of a help. You have to go in and talk to the owner Jim (James) and you'll understand why.

I was treated the best here, and his positive personality really attached me to his shop. In fact, I'm buying two bikes from them this week.

As far as Rock N Road, mentioned above, I didn't get a good vibe from the Laguna Niguel store. Went in there two times, and wasn't even approached. First time I had to get their attention, and was pretty much left with - you're looking to spend 700-800 on a bike. Second time, I was a ghost.

Sand Canyon is also said to be Felt's number one retailer nationwide. Just take a look at the bike that the owner rides, and you'll understand why. He's an awesome guy with a lot of knowledge. It was his overall persona that convinced me to buy from his store, and it had something unique that all the other stores I went to just didn't have.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi Matches,

I'm sorry for your experience, I want everyone to have a positive feeling when they come into my shop, and it's disturbing to hear yours was less than that; however, I don't have an employee with a "lazy eye," so that's a bit confusing. On the other hand, knowledge of such experiences is very important to me!

Our fit schedule fills quite rapidly - we take bike fitting very seriously so we would never estimate size, as reach is impossible to guess. Instead, appointments are made for proper fittings no matter what the price of the bike. Our reputation is based on the fit services we provide, and we have customers who come to us from all over the country, and a few from Australia!

And, while we do proudly sell Fuji, we also lucky enough to be the number one dealer in OC for Cannondale, Felt (I believe we're their top dealer anywhere), and Kestrel, and also enjoy being one of the top dealers in SoCal for Colnago, Look, De Rosa, Moots, and Ritchey. Lots of choices to be had as we're not contractually obligated to sell any particular brand.

Thanks to Sithi for the positive feedback. You and your girlfriend were a pleasure to help, and we look forward to you both riding with us in the near future!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another vote for Sand Canyon Cyclery. I purchased my Felt F4 there after my first encounter with the owner (Jim). I was a normal walk-in customer and he treated me like I was a previous customer that purchased a 10K bike the day before ;)

It was definitely the best experience out of all my bike purchase. My second bike was purchased at rock and road and I was not very happy with the customer experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.