Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need new espresso maker for <250 clams. Could search but I suck at the interwebs. Coffeegeek had way too much info.

what kind and why....Help me out lounge.

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
We have a Pavoni. Hand pump, rebuildable, great espresso, but fussy when it comes to grinds. You gotta have a good burr grinder to feed this thing.

And it's more that 250 clowns. Sorry...

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
il sogno said:
We have a Pavoni. Hand pump, rebuildable, great espresso, but fussy when it comes to grinds. You gotta have a good burr grinder to feed this thing.

it looks good, that's for sure...

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts

Spend the other $225. on bike stuff :D

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
After wearing one out, Jura-Capresso warrantied ours for another. It's nice in that everything is contained within and it's semi-portable. We took it camping. With a 100' extension cord I can usually find power.

Now that we have a Coleman Camper we can plug it in if I run the battery or if the camper is plugged into the grid.

At $800 it was well worth it. She's got her eye on a new burr grinder and new espresso machine. The Expobar machine she wants is closer to professional use with the grinder at about $500 and the machine about $2800.

If you think that's to much, amortize the ~$5 a day for a 3-4 shot latte, or breve for me, over all the years of service and it will have easily paid for itself. Factor in the time it takes to go to a coffee shop, the tip you might leave and the gas to drive. Granted she's buying beans, milk, half and half for me, electricity She's had the current E8 for 2 or 3 years. The one she wore out she bought in 2000.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
if youre just gonna drink espresso, get a stovetop one. but if you want espresso drinks (with steamed/frothed milk) you should be sure to get a pump machine. that is where the problem is. good ones are gonna run more than 250 clams.

i have an ok delohngie i found on the clearance cap at target. i guess nobody wanted to pay $280 for a pump espresso machine when the mr coffee steamer was $30. i scored it for $140. after three years it is still goin strong (knock on wood)

·
Registered
529 Posts
You're not going to get very good espresso from a $250 machine. Obviously, some previous posters disagree with me. If it were me (and it WAS me about five years ago) I'd make do with presspot coffee and shop-bought espresso until you can afford a decent machine and grinder. I don't think you have to spend as much is most of those guys on coffeegeek or homebarista, but you're going to have to shell out a lot more than $250 for decent home espresso.

My .02, but I'm very picky when it comes to coffee. If you don't want to spend more, then buy the cheapest machine you can find because it WILL be replaced if you continue down the espresso rabbit hole.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
svend said:
Need new espresso maker for <250 clams. Could search but I suck at the interwebs. Coffeegeek had way too much info.

If you already have a good grinder, then consider a Krups machine.
They're the cheapest ones with a real, non-trivial pump.

Else spend the money on a good burr grinder.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
svend said:

Buy one at Williams Sonoma. If it breaks they will give you a new one. I've been through 3 of these already. The first one I returned after a year and a half with no box or receipt. The second leaked out of the box--so far so good with the 3rd one. Makes decent espresso assuming you have a good burr grinder. This one is $300 bones and makes both drip coffee and espresso or lattes.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku8260499/index.cfm?pkey=cespresso-makers&ckey=espresso-makers

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
jorbenweb said:
You're not going to get very good espresso from a $250 machine. Obviously, some previous posters disagree with me. If it were me (and it WAS me about five years ago) I'd make do with presspot coffee and shop-bought espresso until you can afford a decent machine and grinder. I don't think you have to spend as much is most of those guys on coffeegeek or homebarista, but you're going to have to shell out a lot more than $250 for decent home espresso.

My .02, but I'm very picky when it comes to coffee. If you don't want to spend more, then buy the cheapest machine you can find because it WILL be replaced if you continue down the espresso rabbit hole.
I must not be very picky. I even like regular drip coffee. I sometimes make espresso with French Roast even.:eek:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
il sogno said:

I dunno...I've had the fancy espresso at the local coffee joints and I don't think it's any better than I make in my Krups maker and a $99 burr grinder. Maybe my taste buds are dead.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I must not be very picky. I even like regular drip coffee. I sometimes make espresso with French Roast even.:eek:
I like regular drip coffee as well. In fact, I like ALL coffee. I'm enjoying a pot of Conscious Coffee's newest offering from Mexico as I type this. I love my espresso, but mostly I stick to the French press these days. It's very reliable and fairly inexpensive to feed. Most of the shops in our area are inconsistent. Best of the bunch are the Cup on Pearl and Ozo out on Arapahoe.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I did a lot of research about a year and a half ago before we bought ours. Others are right, if all you want is espresso you can get good stuff with a stove top unit. Simple and cheap. If you want cuppochino or other coffee drinks then a pump machine is what you want. There aren't a ton of decent machines in the under $250 price range but they're out there. We settled on a Saeco Aroma and have been very pleased. It does have a pressurized porta filter and our intention was to replace it with a non-pressurized one. We started using the machine with the pressurized filter and haven't found a need to spend the extra $30 for the non-pressurized one. We have been very happy with our espresso/cuppochino. A good grinder is just as important as the espresso machine.

Other models you might consider are any of the lower cost Gaggia models. Important features are the boiler, pump, and porta filter. Even if you don't read any of the Coffee Geek reviews at least read their guide http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine It's very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I dunno...I've had the fancy espresso at the local coffee joints and I don't think it's any better than I make in my Krups maker and a $99 burr grinder. Maybe my taste buds are dead.
I agree with you.

But to me, espresso from coffee places as well as household espresso machines are bitter. We had a Krups before we got the Pavoni.

·
Registered
529 Posts
il sogno said:
to me the espresso from most household espresso machines are bitter.
This is my experience as well. I've owned or used Jura, Nespresso, stovetop units and a couple of Krups toys, ranging from $30 to $800. All made a bitter mess. To me, most shop coffee is little better with some notable exceptions.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
jorbenweb said:
This is my experience as well. I've owned or used Jura, Nespresso, stovetop units and a couple of Krups toys, ranging from $30 to $800. All made a bitter mess. To me, most shop coffee is little better with some notable exceptions.
Maybe it's just Amante then because theirs tends to be REALLY bitter to me. I like the stuff I make at home better.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Maybe it's just Amante then because theirs tends to be REALLY bitter to me. I like the stuff I make at home better.
I think a lot of stores are choosing their coffee based on how well the flavor holds up in a latte, since that is what most people order. Unfortunately, the darker, stronger coffees that stand up well when mixed with a lot of milk are often bitter as straight shots or dry macchiatos. Personally, I don't care for lattes and prefer a lighter roast across the board - espresso, drip or press.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
svend said:

Mostly I don't bother with at-home espresso, simply for the drag-it-out and put-it-away of it all. But after quite a few machines from top to bottom used, bought, or borrowed, I like the stovetop units best. Mine is a fancy modern stainess steel contraption, but there's nothing magical about how it works. Found it on a closeout rack at W-S or Sur le Table, and liked how it looked. Same functional thing as a Bialetti, though it comes together a bit more smoothly.

Despite what others will pretend at, milk was NOT intended to be steamed to warm and/or froth. If you believe you like cappucino, you need to have it made with milk properly warmed and manually frothed. Steam nozzles are a production volume / single instrument convenience, nothing more.

IMO, if you spend more than $50, you've only bought equipment hassle and lesser quality coffee. The story changes if you need production volume or want a pretty for the countertop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.