Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You buy a large screen TV from a major electronics retailer. You get home, open the box and see that the stand is already assembled and there is a slight scratch from a screwdriver. Obviously, this unit has been previously sold and returned.

Do you keep it or do you send it back for a replacement?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
how bad is the scratch? is everything in there and working? call and complain. they may give you a partial refund if you can live with the scratch so they don't need to send out a new one.

otherwise send it back.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
does it have any effect on the performance, or (more importantly) the warranty?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
tomk96 said:
how bad is the scratch? is everything in there and working? call and complain. they may give you a partial refund if you can live with the scratch so they don't need to send out a new one.

otherwise send it back.
Exactly, I'm a cheapskate and will go looking for floor models to save a few bucks. But if you pay the full price you should get a new, unopened unit.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
If you paid for a new unit, you should receive a new unit.

What you do if it was a new bike. Order a new bike, shop calls and it's in. You pick it and then see that the brake pads and tires are worn. You know it's been ridden, just not how much. Would you want to pay full price?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i bought a steam vac from walmart once. got it home and noticed that it had been used. i was disgusted. packed it up and took it right back.

the customer service clerk asked, "well, is it broken?"
"i dunno. i didnt turn it on once i noticed it had been used and was still dirty. i just wanna exchange it for one that hasnt been used."
"well, we can't take it back if it isnt broken."
"you already did once."
"well..."
"ill tell ya what. how about i assemble this thing right here. you can take it home and use it. that is if you dont mind the DRIED VOMIT i found in the thing."
"ok. i will talk to the manager and see what we can do."

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
I would throw a fit. I not only would return it but would also ask to speak with the store manager. I would then discuss the fact they are selling used products as new and ask about the information on that barcoded item. Times are hard, but stores can't rip people off by selling used stuff for new.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
weltyed said:
i bought a steam vac from walmart once. got it home and noticed that it had been used. i was disgusted. packed it up and took it right back.

the customer service clerk asked, "well, is it broken?"
"i dunno. i didnt turn it on once i noticed it had been used and was still dirty. i just wanna exchange it for one that hasnt been used."
"well, we can't take it back if it isnt broken."
"you already did once."
"well..."
"ill tell ya what. how about i assemble this thing right here. you can take it home and use it. that is if you dont mind the DRIED VOMIT i found in the thing."
"ok. i will talk to the manager and see what we can do."
i would never expect that from walmart. they take anything back if it's in their computer system.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
if it is in perfect working order, call them and say they should have priced this as an "open box" new, which should have had a substantial discount applied at checkout

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
You're describing the eternal dilemma for me. I'm so focused on instant gratification that when faced with such a decision, my natural inclination is to say "oh, it'll be fine" and just accept it.

I bought a TV once from one of the big box stores. When the kid brought it out, it was clear that the box had been opened. I asked about it and was told that the tape had split and that they'd re-sealed it.

Brought it home, put it in the cabinet, spent the evening watching it. No problems. Turned it off and went to bed. Woke up in the middle of the night because there were voices in the living room. Went out and the TV was on. Hmmm. Turned it off and headed back towards bed. Before I left the room, it had turned itself on again. It went back the next morning.

There's a reason that thing was returned. You might find out about it now and you might find out about it later. You paid for a new, un-opened box and that's not what you got. I'd take it back and raise hell with customer service.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I'd either return it for a new or if the scratch didn't bother me I'd push for a partial refund.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Paid full price get BRAND NEW NEVAR TOUCHED TV. Get a floor model discount with full warrenty, meh.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
You should at least get some money back.

/I was buying some Sonicare toothbrush heads at Costco last weekend, garbbed the package and was on my way. Few minutes later noticed the package was open, dumped that and went and got new ones. Gross :(

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
VaughnA said:
Exactly, I'm a cheapskate and will go looking for floor models to save a few bucks. But if you pay the full price you should get a new, unopened unit.

x2. if it works fine, angle for a discount, store credit, one night-no questions asked with the store employee of your choice, etc. if anything seems wrong, get a fresh, new one.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
If it worked I wouldn't care. Stuff like that isn't worth my time.
Same. We're talking about just the stand too, right - not the TV? Might be worth a call to see if you get some free stuff out of it (after all, if you knew it was a return you would have expected a discount).

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
kykr13 said:
Same. We're talking about just the stand too, right - not the TV? Might be worth a call to see if you get some free stuff out of it (after all, if you knew it was a return you would have expected a discount).
Yeah, honestly I think people's expectations are a little whacky these days, but most places sell returned items at a discount, a part of what "restocking" fees used to be about, right?

IMHO it's probably worth a check and maybe a 10% refund, but not the raising cain that some people seem to suggest...

If it were actually something that affected the function I would probably dispute the transaction on my credit card.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for your responses.

The protagonist in this story is actually my sister in NYC. I have passed all your comments on to her which for the most part echoed my own. Contact the store, let them know that it seems that the TV is a returned item, and see what they say. Push for a refund (she's tough, she'll get one), and make sure the warranty is valid, so if and when something happens in the near future you can exchange it without a hassle.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Uprwstsdr said:
The protagonist in this story is actually my sister in NYC.
I feel so - violated. :eek6:

I can't see how there wouldn't be a warranty unless stated on the receipt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts