Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, going to replace my old avocet...give me your suggestions, either wireless or wired i dont care.....somewhere in the under 60.00 range, would like one w/ avg.speed as one of the functions.

thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Get something with big, easy-to-read numbers. Check out the manual before you buy to make sure you like the sequence of operations. IMO, mfg's are putting too much unnecessary stuff on computers now. Altimeters, gps, temperature heart rate...pretty soon somebody will put rectal temperatures on one. And GPS? Excuse me, but if you need GPS, you shouldn't be on a bike.

Less is more. My $.02.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
...pretty soon somebody will put rectal temperatures on one.

Less is more. My $.02.
I certainly hope that is wireless, would otherwise be a pain in the arse!

·
Registered
170 Posts
However

All good suggestions, however, i doubt youll be able to find a cateye wireless computer for under $60. My advice, go with an echowell W2, its wireless, has avg speed and cost me about $60 AUS, it took me about 10 minutes max to install and and transmitts the data great, ive never had any issues with it. Greatly recommended

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
mcfly said:
ok, going to replace my old avocet...give me your suggestions, either wireless or wired i dont care.....somewhere in the under 60.00 range, would like one w/ avg.speed as one of the functions.

thanks
Sigma Sport - way under $60. available with a wireless harness if you want it.

·
But it's a dry heat...
286 Posts
weiwentg said:
I second the Sigma Sport, particularly the BC1600. Of all the computers I have used, I like it's display the best. Plus Sigma's are very intuitive to use.

Nashbar had the wireless model on sale for $25 a while ago. Check around and you will find them for MUCH less than $60.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
985 Posts
weiwentg said:
There is only one issue with them - wireless or cadence, select one (i.e. wireless harness and cadence sensor are mutually exclusive). Not sure if it applicable to their latest model, but it definitely true for BC-1600.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Cateye Micro.

I've used one and it works great. Battery life if good just not great. I switched to the Polar CS100 with heartrate and it's been an awesome computer. I wanted the heartrate function built in ohterwise I guess I would still be using the Cateye. I paid $28 on Ebay for mine plus $6 to ship.

·
Registered
456 Posts
al0 said:
There is only one issue with them - wireless or cadence, select one (i.e. wireless harness and cadence sensor are mutually exclusive). Not sure if it applicable to their latest model, but it definitely true for BC-1600.
I'm assuming you're referring specifically to the Sigma computer here. Otherwise you are incorrect in stating that cadence and wireless are mutually exclusive. Shimano Flight Deck has both, but of course you pay close to $100 for the setup.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
KonaMan said:
I second the motion... all in favor?

Yep... a Cateye wireless is a solid choice.

Don't buy a VDO. They look cool and have nice features but they're expensive and made like crap. I've had two warranty issues on my $150 model in less than a year.

I took it back to Velo Pasadena where I purchased in late October and I still have not recieved a replacement. I've enough with the bs and I'm about to insist that Harach give me my money back or I'll take my thousands in annual insane cycling spending somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
al0 said:
that's true. only the 1600 has cadence. the 1200 and the 1600 can both be attached to the wireless harness (and I think the lower-end models as well), but the harness will block the attachment point for the cadence sensor on the 1600. I don't use wireless and I stopped using cadence.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Bryn said:
Someone doesn't work for cateye, chill bro, just offering some advice. By the way, i live in Aus, we cant get much cateye stuff over here for like less than around $70, not to mention wireless. And that is ebay, that'll knock off big bucks anyway.

Some people get too grumpy, chill!
Yeah, but the guy who wants the computer lives in New York...

Who gives two sh*ts if it's from Ebay? I bought mine from the same guy that I posted the auction link to. It's new, in the box.
The fact you live in Australia (spell it out) means nothing in this discussion.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
how obtrusive is the wire for the cadence portion of the astrale? the speed sensor wire down the front brake cable keeps that one pretty much out of the way. plus, where is the sensor placed for cadence. i tried searching for pics of someone's setup, but couldn't find it. can't decide how much the wires will bother my (well, my eye). thanks all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts