Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our hand-me-down 20 something year old gas Kitchenaid range needs major work, multiple igniters, etc... in conversation, my wife indicated that the burners never put out a lot of heat and that the oven broiler was erratic with cooking times.

So OK, new range time. The appliance repair guy recommends Kitchenaid, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thx in advance

SB

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
get one that the standoffs for the pots completely cover the top, flat; not the individual burner ones.

·
Registered
833 Posts
We've got a Bluestar (our's is 36" but they make 30" as well) and it is incredible for cooking. The open burners are super powerful and the oven has an really powerful infrared broiler than makes a great steak. It also has almost no electronics so should be a little more robust than some of the fancy computerized models out there. I've seen reports of the control panel on Kitchenaids melting.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I just bought a Kitchenaid this week to replace our old one. I got the rear oven controls. Hundreds cheaper and appliance guy says that may be a better location for the electronics in any case. Stainless top and continuous grills.

·
Super Moderator
40,851 Posts
Our hand-me-down 20 something year old gas Kitchenaid range needs major work, multiple igniters, etc... in conversation, my wife indicated that the burners never put out a lot of heat and that the oven broiler was erratic with cooking times.

So OK, new range time. The appliance repair guy recommends Kitchenaid, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thx in advance

SB
What's yer budget?

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
We have a GE profile (?) cafe, 36" with a convection oven. 4 regular burners and a center oblong burner. No upright in the back, so it can be used either inserted, or as a stand-alone. Looks nice, although the stainless steel under-guard did heat-treat to a brownish color under the dual-burner (lots of heat when we boil water for pasta...), and it's a pain to keep looking clean. Still, the convection oven is really nice to have. So far it's been reliable. Looks like a premium range, at a mid-range price.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Just a minor correction to this

No upright in the back, so it can be used either inserted, or as a stand-alone
Implies that a stove with rear oven controls cannot be an insert, which in our case at least is not so. Ours is an insert and the oven controls are at the back. Only difference with an insert is that the sides are not nicely finished.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
like this

Room Property Electronic device Home appliance Major appliance

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
IDK what the current models with front oven controls do, but the Kitchenaid model we just ditched with front controls, would run a cooling fan when the oven was on and for about 10 mins after shutdown to keep the board cool. Quite noisy. This one with rear controls has no cooling fan. Which is an improvement.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Like carveitup, me and Sogno have a Bluestar 36". An outstanding piece of kit. Quality up and down. Pots heat to a boil in no time. Precision control up the wazoo. No electronics other than the igniters. Macho-looking but beautiful to gaze upon. The only problem is that, though the burners are of various sizes and intensities, even the gentlest burner is too powerful for a truly gentle simmer. If you really want a gentle simmer, you have to stack a couple of grates on top of each other to get the pot a little higher.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Apparently Costco has a Bluestar specific to them for less than the going rate of a general public model. Regular shelves rather than ball bearings, and maybe one or two other minor differences. Guts are all the same though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
Our new Samsung Chef Collection has a fancy 22,000 btu dual burner that's supposed to heat water quick but I swear the regular burners are just as fast. It also has the fan, I really hate it. Would not buy again.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,291 Posts
If you really want a gentle simmer, you have to stack a couple of grates on top of each other to get the pot a little higher.
We have a 5000 btu simmer burner, and it's not quite low enough either. Diffusers can help, or just stack things a bit higher as you do.

Super high end stuff has a pulse simmer. The flame comes on and off over time so that very low temps can be maintained.

Our new Samsung Chef Collection has a fancy 22,000 btu dual burner that's supposed to heat water quick but I swear the regular burners are just as fast.
Does it just have one circle of flames?

Bigger burners tend to be too big for most pots and pans, and so a lot of heat tends to go out the sides and not into the bottom of the pan. To really have a good high burner, you want either a double burner (two rings of flames) or a star shaped burner or something like that.

We can't really go over medium high with our high burner for most things, other than 14" pans and the huge stockpot.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I think it's well worth asking whether or not the stove uses a cooling fan for the electronics.

It's something never mentioned in the specs.

And can be irritating, as the one one on the stove that just died would run on for 10-15 minutes after the oven had been shut down. And it was still an electronics failure that killed it.

And why our new quiet stove pictured above is such a relief.

·
Super Moderator
40,851 Posts
Like carveitup, me and Sogno have a Bluestar 36". An outstanding piece of kit. Quality up and down. Pots heat to a boil in no time. Precision control up the wazoo. No electronics other than the igniters. Macho-looking but beautiful to gaze upon. The only problem is that, though the burners are of various sizes and intensities, even the gentlest burner is too powerful for a truly gentle simmer. If you really want a gentle simmer, you have to stack a couple of grates on top of each other to get the pot a little higher.
If you have a large enough cast-iron skillet or grill, you can put your pot inside one, and let it be your heat diffuser.

If the stacked grates are stable and safe, though, it sounds like that works fine.

·
Super Moderator
40,851 Posts
OP, in addition to what you're spending, what width stove do you need?

Most ranges in the sub-astronomical price range (i.e., below a couple grand) are 30". If you want bigger, it ramps up the cost quite a bit (read on).

I have a friend who just bought a house where the previous owner had installed her dream kitchen: A 60" Wolf stove w/dual ovens, two huge refrigerators, two dishwashers, etc., but she'd fudged on an exhaust hood. My friend was shocked when I told him that because of the size of his stove, and the fact that it was directly below a cathedral ceiling (meaning longer duct run and an auxiliary fan), he'd likely be paying ten grand, all in, to have that aircraft carrier of a stove vented outside...and two months later, he was writing a check for just about that amount.

Still, he's quite happy now--he could cook a missionary on that stove, and never smell it in the adjoining room.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OP, in addition to what you're spending, what width stove do you need?

Most ranges in the sub-astronomical price range (i.e., below a couple grand) are 30". If you want bigger, it ramps up the cost quite a bit (read on).

I have a friend who just bought a house where the previous owner had installed her dream kitchen: A 60" Wolf stove w/dual ovens, two huge refrigerators, two dishwashers, etc., but she'd fudged on an exhaust hood. My friend was shocked when I told him that because of the size of his stove, and the fact that it was directly below a cathedral ceiling (meaning longer duct run and an auxiliary fan), he'd likely be paying ten grand, all in, to have that aircraft carrier of a stove vented outside...and two months later, he was writing a check for just about that amount.

Still, he's quite happy now--he could cook a missionary on that stove, and never smell it in the adjoining room.
Ended up with a KitchenAid 5 burner, 30", gas unit. It's stainless so now fits with all the other stainless stuff in the kitchen.

Briefly looked at a Viking and a Bluestar but at easily a grand more, couldn't justify the cost. There's only my wife and I, we both work full time and are not gourmet chefs so microwave half the time.

Didn't go to the big box guys, instead was recommended to a local appliance guy who was as nice as could be, super knowledgeable. His attitude and helpfulness sold us the stove. Price was no different and I was glad to buy local.

Comes in next week and I paid for install and removal even though I could do it myself.

So there goes part of this years tax refund.

Oh, and a thanks to all who replied, good info and advise as always.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I have a fancy 6 burner Thermadore. Had a lot of problems with the oven door initially. One thing I do like about it is that the range is gas and the oven in electric. Referred to as dual fuel. Gas ovens and electric ranges suck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.