Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace the old Looks, they've given out. I'm now faced with a quandry... More Looks, move to Speedplay or try the (newish) Shimano platform. The three that are duking it out are:

Shimano Ultegra (any reason to move to DA except for the weight?)
Speedplay Zeros
Look PP247 (on sale at Performance)

Not trying to start a "mine are better than yours" thread, but I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm not trying to match a platform across bikes so it really doesn't matter what I choose. I'm leaning toward the Shimano's as they seem to have a lot of the Look's benefits without the weight. The high cleat cost of the Speedplays and heavy cleats seem to outweigh much of the lighter pedal benefits--and I really don't need all the float for knee problems. I've got some '03 Sidi's so all seem relatively compatible with the shoes.

Any suggestions? I've read through the reviews and seems like there are upsides for all of them.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
SPD-SL vote

I haven't tried speedplays, but between Looks and SPD-SLs, the Shimano stuff is a lot better in my book. No performance differences between the Ultegra and DA versions of the pedal. Heck, I've been thinking about giving the 105 version a shot just because they're all black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Another SPD SL convert

I've ridden most of them; the old Dura-Ace and Look system, Time Equipe, X-2, Zero, and now I'm on the 7800's. The cleats look like they'll last way longer than Look or Speedplay, and I like the solid platform and lower stack height (than the Look system). My saddle is about 3mm higher than with the Zero's.

I weighed the 7800's vs a pr of Zero's, along with cleats and all the hardware, and the 7800's were 31 grams heavier.

I purchased mine from Total Cycling and e-bay for considerably less than msrp.

If you wear Sidi's and choose Shimano be sure to get the Shimano screws intended for Sidi shoes. They'll cost you about $5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,637 Posts
Much personal choice

My experience with Speedplay has been excellent, and my experience with Look has never been anything to write home about. IMO Look does not use very good bearings or metallurgy. I think the Speedplays are at least as good as Ultegra, but you have to accept the different float characteristics. Any particular reason to pay the extra money for Zeros? Most people are quite satisfied with the X2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I love my Speedplays X-1's

I've had the ti X-1's Speedplays for about 3 months on a new TREK 5900 with Sidi's carbon sole shoes, and I love 'em. I really like the additional float they provide for my knees, and I find them easy to get into and out of. I've had no accidental un-clips yet. I bought the cafe covers to protect the cleats while walking. I've got about 600 miles on them now and nothing has broken yet.

My only other experience with clip-ins was with Crank Bros. Eggbeaters, which I felt were good, but I like the smoothness and the large and more stable platform on the Speedplays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
What's the prob w/ Sidi screws?

12x23 said:
If you wear Sidi's and choose Shimano be sure to get the Shimano screws intended for Sidi shoes. They'll cost you about $5.
I have 7750 and 7800. I have no problem w/ screws. Whether I used the Sidi's or Shimano's I don't remember but I did not have to buy no screws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
screws

The Shimano fasteners that came with the 7800's were too short for my Genius 3 shoes. Shimano has a longer fastener intended for the Sidi's. I preferred to use the Shimano screw because of the 4mm hex head as opposed to using a slotted screw. I keep small 4mm and 5mm hex keys in my saddle bag which work with the Shimano screw/bolt/fastener, whatever you call it. :)
 

·
Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
c_dale said:
It's time to replace the old Looks, they've given out. I'm now faced with a quandry... More Looks, move to Speedplay or try the (newish) Shimano platform. The three that are duking it out are:

Shimano Ultegra (any reason to move to DA except for the weight?)
Speedplay Zeros
Look PP247 (on sale at Performance)

Not trying to start a "mine are better than yours" thread, but I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm not trying to match a platform across bikes so it really doesn't matter what I choose. I'm leaning toward the Shimano's as they seem to have a lot of the Look's benefits without the weight. The high cleat cost of the Speedplays and heavy cleats seem to outweigh much of the lighter pedal benefits--and I really don't need all the float for knee problems. I've got some '03 Sidi's so all seem relatively compatible with the shoes.

Any suggestions? I've read through the reviews and seems like there are upsides for all of them.

Thanks!
You've got several good choices listed.

The 7800s are going to feel like a lighter version of the Looks you're using now. The Looks, well re-read the last sentence...

The Speedplays are a different critter. Double sided, they don't have the "pedaling on ball bearings" feel that my X2s had, etc.

I'm going to upgrade to SPD-SLs when I get around to it. I like the Look-style pedals/cleats, but lighter weight than the traditional Look pedals.

If you get on and off the bike a bunch, I'd go Speedplay for that double-sided thing. If not, then SPD-SL would be my recommendation.

Mike
 

·
Diesel Engine
Joined
·
898 Posts
Based on the choices you have created....

Go with the Shimano's. My club seems to be pretty much split between SPD-SL and Speedplay users and as an impartial observer (I use Time Impacts but I don't want to confuse you by adding that into the mix ;)) I see:
  • Speedplay users doing a lot of cleat inspections between rides (and asking who has any dry lube)
  • When we stop, Speedplay users being careful not to get their cleats dirty/muddy.
Both are fine pedals, but for the money I'd go with the Ultegra-level SPD SL's. The comparable Speedplay (X2 or Zero Stainless) is considerably more expensive. Both are well built, but the cost of Speedplay replacement cleats is fairly high compared to the SPD-SL's. Also, if you don't need the float, the SPD-SL's will feel very similar to the LOOKs,

I would not recommend LOOK pedals. I used them for years and will not go back. Shimano, Campagnolo, Speedplay and Time offer a much higher quality product in terms of materials and bearings to make LOOK a less than appealing alternative.

Hope this helps.

Mike
 

·
aka Zonic Man
Joined
·
593 Posts
I've tried looks, speedplays, and shimano SL's and I think the SL's are currently the best pedals on the market.

And I'm using them on a campy bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This has all been really helpful. I think I'm going to give the Shimano's a shot. If you never try anything new, you're not going to ever improve anything. Sounds like they are exactly what I want and the least costly. After trying them for a while, I'll post a review.

Thanks again everyone for their responses!
 

·
lyleseven
Joined
·
490 Posts
You forgot the best ones...

I have had Shimanos, which were okay. Switched to Time Impacts and would never use anything else. I love 'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I haven't used the current gen. Shimano's, but I would take a hard look at the Speedplays - if the free float doesn't bother you, they are awesome pedals (just stomp and go) - I have been using X2's for the past 3 or 4 years and love them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Shimano screws for sidi

Where did you get these? I have been trying to get them but can't find a mail order place that stocks them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
gmikes said:
Where did you get these? I have been trying to get them but can't find a mail order place that stocks them.
I had a lbs order them. To begin with, the lbs said they had sold "literally hundreds" of prs of 7800 pedals, and had never heard of the longer screws for Sidi shoes. I asked them to call Shimano (this, after I had already called to verify). They did and ordered screws for me. The kit was about $4.99.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
I don't know about mud but with the Zero pedals you generally don't have to worry about your cleats getting dirty. No requirement for frequent lubing either. Personally I can't see any reason for existence of the X series Speedplays. The Zero does everything better.

Mike Prince said:
Go with the Shimano's. My club seems to be pretty much split between SPD-SL and Speedplay users and as an impartial observer (I use Time Impacts but I don't want to confuse you by adding that into the mix ;)) I see:
  • Speedplay users doing a lot of cleat inspections between rides (and asking who has any dry lube)
  • When we stop, Speedplay users being careful not to get their cleats dirty/muddy.
Both are fine pedals, but for the money I'd go with the Ultegra-level SPD SL's. The comparable Speedplay (X2 or Zero Stainless) is considerably more expensive. Both are well built, but the cost of Speedplay replacement cleats is fairly high compared to the SPD-SL's. Also, if you don't need the float, the SPD-SL's will feel very similar to the LOOKs,

I would not recommend LOOK pedals. I used them for years and will not go back. Shimano, Campagnolo, Speedplay and Time offer a much higher quality product in terms of materials and bearings to make LOOK a less than appealing alternative.

Hope this helps.

Mike
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top