Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been cycling for a couple months now, and I'm relatively sure that it's going to be a long-term form of fun and exercise for me. Thing is, I've been using these $20 sunglasses for the last couple months I bought at my LBS and they snapped the other day. No, I didn't step on them or run them over with the car. I had them on my head and bumped them with my hand (unfortunately right on the hinge) and they snapped. Uh oh. No more cycling 'til I get something to cover my eyes...
Now, I went back to my LBS a week ago and they didn't have any more. They should get them in next week though, so

Option 1) wait for the LBS to stock the sunglasses and buy another pair for $20. This is nice because I know I like the sunglasses and they're only $20. It's not so good because I'm afraid they'll break again in a couple months and because I have to wait another week to get them and I want to go cycling now.

Option 2) try to find another pair of cheap sunglasses. Not sure how I feel about this one. I haven't been that impressed with most sunglasses I've worn, and I'm looking for something I can wear both on the bike and casually.

Option 3) spring for a pair of "nicer" sunglasses. I really was tempted to do this the other day. I drove 15 minutes to find a pair of oakley half-jackets because I had read good reviews and they weren't "too" expensive. I tried them on and didn't particularly like how they fit my face, so I left and checked out one of the other bike shops in my area that stocked Rudy Project sunglasses. I liked the Rydons, but between the price tag and their $20 charge to switch lenses around for me (so I could have a frame and lens combo I liked), I didn't buy them. I don't mind buying online, but I'd have to try on the sunglasses locally first to make sure I liked them. Also, I'm not sure how much I really want to spend on sunglasses...

I guess what I'm asking is, how "worth it" are expensive sunglasses compared to cheap ones? I tend to go cycling 2-3 times a week, probably about 100 miles/week in total, maybe a little bit less some weeks. I need sunglasses to keep the wind/bugs/sun out of my eyes while I ride. And I'm looking for cycling sunglasses that can double for casual wear. The other thing I'm worried about is if the expensive ones break on me, I'll be back where I started.

I'm looking for suggestions of good sunglasses, places to buy them that are cheap, and/or general advice on sunglasses.

Thanks

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Never go "on the cheap" with eyewear. On the other hand, it's silly to pop for $180 shades. I've got a pair of Oakley "M's" that are so old, they say Oakley on the side, instead of the big "O".
That said, I usually wear a pair of Serfas glasses, that retail for $50, for most of my riding. If they get dinged by a stone, it's cheap to get new lenses. If I lose them, I won't cry (too much)

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have rudy projects because there's such a limited choice for rx inserts (for no line bifocals--so oakleys aren't an option) .....and rudys has a lens replacement guarantee against scratches, breakage, etc....more upfront cost but i think over the long haul, they'll not be that expensive...and i just ordered a rudyproject helmet (25% off)...zuma for &67.50 with free shipping both ways (rudyproject online gives 30 day trial period with full refund)...and no, i'm not paid by them. ;-)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've never had a pair of oakleys, but I've always worn "good" sunglasses.
I like the Smiths I used to have with the interchangeable lenses.
Last year, I bought a pair of Native sunglasses with the various lenses and really like them. Probably the nicest glasses I've had. Light weight good lenses and comfortable for hours.
I also had a pair of Maui Jims which were the most expensive ones I've owned and they were way too heavy to wear when riding, but the lenses were really nice polarized ones.

several sites for good sunglass deals - campmor.com, reioutlet.com
, sierratradingpost.com

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
rzims said:
I've never had a pair of oakleys, but I've always worn "good" sunglasses.
I like the Smiths I used to have with the interchangeable lenses.
Last year, I bought a pair of Native sunglasses with the various lenses and really like them. Probably the nicest glasses I've had. Light weight good lenses and comfortable for hours.
I also had a pair of Maui Jims which were the most expensive ones I've owned and they were way too heavy to wear when riding, but the lenses were really nice polarized ones.

several sites for good sunglass deals - campmor.com, reioutlet.com
, sierratradingpost.com
maui jim's and costa del mars....wrong sport those are the best for fishing:D

Chad

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I got my sunglasses at target. Been through a lot and I'm happy. $20 - $200, all are made in a couple of plants in china anyway. The differences will be the lenses, the design, and the name stamped on them.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i've been wearing bolle pirana polarized modulators. They really are awesome lenses, and I believe that wearing good quality, polarized shades all day, and while riding keeps your eyes more relaxed, and help you see things while you're tired, that you may not see otherwise. I prefer shades that rest comfortably on nose and ears, but not tight, or snug fitting shades, like the new oakleys that all the pros wear. it gives me a headache after a while.
I also have some of the rimless adidas sunglasses. They are incredibly lightweight, and really a decent, relaxing tint, although they're not polarized.
Now I also have tifosi shades, for 50 bucks, a decent pair with good value.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've surfed all my life... hanging out on the beach you develope a sunglass fetish. I generally stick w/ polarized as much as I can. I've had Oakley's, Pepper's, HotButtered, Smith, Dragon, Arnette, Ray Ban's, Spy's, and a few other brands I can't remember...

Oakley's are fantastic... but you have to be happy w/ the fit (true w/ any brand) and the look. I'm looking to get a pair of Ti Nanowire's (just for pimpin!) in the semi-near future.

I just received a pair of Ryder's Intersect's from online... It was a gamble not being able to try them on... but they fit very well after adjusting the nose piece. Let's hope they ride/last well too!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a pair of Smith's, that I loved, before my brother lost them for me. Then i had a pair of polarized Arnette's, that i loved, before a she-devil stile them from me. Now i have a pair of Oakley Radar's. Really expensive but I am very happy with them. Good warranty and a 90 return guarantee at SunGlass Hut. These I guard with me life. from cycling, life-guarding, driving, they are my fave.
If you go Oakley you wont regret it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Don't laugh, but I still have a pair of Bolle Micro Edge from the 80's.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Nimitz said:
know anyone thats a cop or in the military can get them for you.

Chad
Its not kosher to advertise how to work the system for special 'VIP' pricing. Those Oakley VIP program is for the police, military, firefighters, shop rats ect. Not for Joe forums user. And if the above parties want to keep getting such good prices then they shouldn't abuse the system by giving all their buddies cheap goodies.

That being said, Oakleys have consistently the best quality in both their frames and optics though their lenses do seem to be more scratch prone. Rudy Project is nearly equal to Oakley other than some of the eurotrash styling on a lot of models. I've been of late quite impressed with the Giro sunglasses.
But the bottom line is, don't buy cheap sunglasses.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
Its not kosher to advertise how to work the system for special 'VIP' pricing. Those Oakley VIP program is for the police, military, firefighters, shop rats ect. Not for Joe forums user. And if the above parties want to keep getting such good prices then they shouldn't abuse the system by giving all their buddies cheap goodies.

That being said, Oakleys have consistently the best quality in both their frames and optics though their lenses do seem to be more scratch prone. Rudy Project is nearly equal to Oakley other than some of the eurotrash styling on a lot of models. I've been of late quite impressed with the Giro sunglasses.
But the bottom line is, don't buy cheap sunglasses.
taken care of didn't think about it...

Chad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.